Working FreeNAS No Longer Boots

Murbella7

Cadet
I have had FreeNAS working for over a year but today, after a controlled shutdown and a rest for a few hours, it won't boot. I get this message... "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted". This appears to be a BIOS boot option problem but I have used pretty much every option available as the main boot drive and can't get past this point. I have prioritised the devices in various combinations and have also tried disabling all but boot devices but one. My FreeNAS server is an old PC but I have never had an issue with it until today.

BTW, we were hit with a 5.9 earthquake yesterday, a very rare thing for Australia, especially in Victoria and never at this level, ever. Everything was shaken heavily for about 30 seconds but nothing stopped. My 3 other PC's all booted OK and are still working fine. Any help would be marvelous.

Sounds like the boot-pool is corrupted.
What are you using for boot-pool media?
You have backups of your config, right?
If so, install on new new media and restore config.

jlpellet

Patron
First thing I'd try is open the case & reseat all data & power cables (& maybe any controller cards) - it seems like the desired boot disk is not being seen by the system. Next I'd disconect all drives EXCEPT the desired boot disk & see if the BIOS sees it during POST. You might also go into BIOS Setup & see if the boot disk is visible. Good luck.

It is also possible that your BIOS has the boot order wrong. If your BIOS has a boot menu that lets you select the boot drive, try that. Once you find the right one, make sure the BIOS has that set as the first boot priority.