AFP vs CIFS access from Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidK

Dabbler
I have done some searching but have not found a solution. I have bot a CIFS and AFP share setup that point to the same location on the NAS. When I view the files for the AFP share on a Mac a number of the folders are grayed out. If I view those same folders from the Mac attaching to the CIFS share everything is fine and all the folders are accessible. From the command line all the files and folders are accessible. Just trying to figure out how to solve this issue? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Glorious1

Guru
The User Guide recommends against setting up two different sharing types for the same dataset. I'm not sure if that is what's causing your problem. Try turning off the CIFS service and see if things are fixed in AFP. From the User Guide:
Note: while the GUI will let you do it, it is a bad idea to share the same volume or dataset using multiple types of access methods. Different types of shares and services use different file locking methods. For example, if the same volume is configured to use both NFS and FTP, NFS will lock a file for editing by an NFS user, but a FTP user can simultaneously edit or delete that file. This will result in lost edits and confused users. Another example: if a volume is configured for both AFP and CIFS, Windows users may be confused by the extra filenames used by Mac files and delete the ones they don’t understand; this will corrupt the files on the AFP share. Pick the one type of share or service that makes the most sense for the types of clients that will access that volume, and configure that volume for that one type of share or service. If you need to support multiple types of shares, divide the volume into datasets and use one dataset per share.

Status
Not open for further replies.