AFP & TimeMachine configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavydrinker

Cadet
hi all,

Since several day, i try to perform a mac backup with timemachine and freenas 8.

1. Configurate and mount ZFS volume : set permissions R/W for all users and group
2. [ Optional] configurate of ZFS dataset if you want specific directory to receive TM backups
3. Perform AFP Sharing with automatic & TM retrieve, does not set another fields
4. In command line on OSX, uses ID command to get the OSX username, UID and group
For me UID = 501 Name : Alex and Group is "STAFF"
5. In freenas create the same user (set identical UID, GROUP and unsername)
6. In OSX : in command line :to enable unsupported volume
Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

7. In osx mount the AFP share with the same username and password that in osx
7. Final, select the new freenas volume in TM with the same username and password that in osx

enjoy.

headconnect

Explorer
Love it! I'll be testing this out with the wife's macbook in about two weeks time :) I presume I'll be having some additional stupid questions to fill out the how-to with additional hand-holding :)

update: working like a charm :) just wondering what one would do if one had multiple macs needing to be time-machined and they each have UID of 501... hmmm...

digitaltrash

Dabbler
Hmm, having difficulties with creating a working TM with different user account than that of default OSX. My account in OSX is more than 16 characters, and FreeNAS does not let one create a user with more than 16 chars (at least in GUI). Any ideas/directions on how to make TM work with a different user name?

seggerman

Dabbler
hi all,

6. In OSX : in command line :to enable unsupported volume
Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

This isn't necessary. If the AFP share is setup as TM this volume is seen as a "supported" volume from OSX (SL + Lion)

I personally connect from various mac via the guest-user (no need to create multiple users). Been working for months now non-stop.

Alexander

digitaltrash

Dabbler
"defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1"

Confirmed, it is not necessary if you connect via AFP (which you should).

I think (correct me if I'm wrong), to revert back, you use: "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 0"

On my problem, I was able to work it out. My issue was that I put a password in the AFP share setup in FreeNAS. As soon as I removed it, I was finally able to connect and do backups. (I do use a separate username with its own password though, and TM stores the settings for that on its own).

G

gcooper

"defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1"

Confirmed, it is not necessary if you connect via AFP (which you should).

I think (correct me if I'm wrong), to revert back, you use: "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 0"

On my problem, I was able to work it out. My issue was that I put a password in the AFP share setup in FreeNAS. As soon as I removed it, I was finally able to connect and do backups. (I do use a separate username with its own password though, and TM stores the settings for that on its own).

The password feature doesn't seem to work as expected (I tried it and it didn't really work for me). I'll take a look at this either before 8.2.0 or 8.2.1 if I get the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.