AFP shares disappeared after setting up Time Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bougnot

Cadet
I noticed interesting behavior:

1. My freenas 11.1 was working fine, I have AFP shares for macs and SMB for Windows machines
2. I've successfully set up Time Machine, and got my machine backed up

Then..

* AFP shares disappeared from Finder. I now see Windows (SMB) shares.
* I am able to connect to AFP shares, but need to do it explicitly

Is that normal? What can I do to bring my AFP shares visible back?

kdragon75

Wizard
If a share is use for time machine it will hide them so you don't muck with the files. Try running a backup and make sure its working. After that do a test restore once per week as there is a good chance it will break. I have never had any luck with AFPd. I use SMB for all my client shares Mac and PC. It works well enough for me.
EDIT: DO NOT dual share your time capsule folder/dataset with samba as thi WILL destroy you backups (or at least render them unusable in time machine.)

fracai

Guru
That's normal. AFP is deprecated and if both are available Mac OS picks SMB.
You can make a shortcut to the AFP share (drag the proxy icon from the Connect window) which should make things easier to connect.

kdragon75

Wizard
That's normal. AFP is deprecated and if both are available Mac OS picks SMB.
You can make a shortcut to the AFP share (drag the proxy icon from the Connect window) which should make things easier to connect.
SMB is not supported for Time Machine last I checked.

Bougnot

Cadet
Yes, the Time Machine works over AFP (which I confirmed).

I wasn't aware that Apple now prefers SMB over AFP: but does it play nice with all Apple's specifics like enhanced metadata, links etc?
Would you recommend shutting down all AFP shares and use SMB instead?

I do remember that FAT (ergo Microsoft filesystem) pendrives are trashed by Apples dotfiles when connected do Mac.

fracai

Guru
SMB is not supported for Time Machine last I checked.
TimeMachine is indeed possible over SMB. I'm not sure if the version available in FreeNAS advertises the necessary features, but I know it was worked on by the SMB people.

Status
Not open for further replies.