AFP Share Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
OneStickShortOfaBundle -- If you created a dedicated user for the TM share and didn't specify a group when doing so, the group name for that user should be the same as the user's name. Ie, I create a user account Alex, and don't specify the group, the default group of Alex will be created. So, in this case the new user would be Alex and he would be in the group Alex. If you can provide info on how you have created your TM share and how users authenticate to it would be appreciated... Best of luck in the mean time...

I figured out my own problem.... I created a dedicated user account for my TM share. I originally had permissions of the ZFS dataset with that user set for read/write, and ALSO had a password for the AFP share itself. Apparently TM didn't like the AFP share having a password. As soon as I removed that share password, I was still prompted to enter the user credentials to access the ZFS dataset and boom, it worked. Perhaps there was a change made somewhere along the line.... I used to be able to do both, meaning, the user account for the ZFS share, and a separate share password for the AFP TM share.....
Hi thegert87. Everything was set up via the GUI as I do not know enough about Terminal commands to use that unless I have explicit instructions to follow. I am the only user but I have tried setting up a Group with the same name but that made no difference. Everything was working fine until RC-1 came along and that’s when my AFP became locked and nothing that I have tried has been able to unlock it. Lots of people have suggested deleting the .AppleDB files under SAMBA but they remain locked so I can’t do this. Please forgive my ignorance but, what is a TM share?

thegert87

Cadet
A TM share is a Time Machine Share... ummm the only thing that I can suggest is that you have the proper permissions set up for the AFP share, and what is the current status of the afpd process. To check its status you can view the running processes by clicking the "View Running Processes" or similar verbiage to that...link on the left side of the gui site. Also, does your AFP share have a share password, if so try removing it...? If it reports uwrlck, you'll need to reboot. Are you using ZFS as your file system? I'm not a FreeNas expert I'm just trying to help...

A TM share is a Time Machine Share... ummm the only thing that I can suggest is that you have the proper permissions set up for the AFP share, and what is the current status of the afpd process. To check its status you can view the running processes by clicking the "View Running Processes" or similar verbiage to that...link on the left side of the gui site. Also, does your AFP share have a share password, if so try removing it...? If it reports uwrlck, you'll need to reboot. Are you using ZFS as your file system? I'm not a FreeNas expert I'm just trying to help...
What I doing right now is backing up the entire NAS to yet another RAID but it is taking quite a long time. I thought that having a third copy would be give me a good level of security against any failures.

Yes I am using ZFS. I shall try removing the share password once the backup is complete. the current status of the afpd process is -

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND
99461 root 1 50 0 141M 85992K select 1 165:56 8.79% afpd

Please can someone tell me how to resolve this CNID DB problem before I am forced to abandon FreeNAS altogether and look for alternate NAS software. I have tried all the advice that has been given but I am still locked out of my server several weeks after the problem began.

I do not know how to allow access to the .AppleDB files with my Mac. There does not seem to be any way to do this from the GUI and I do not possess the knowledge to do it from the Terminal.

Please unlock this ticket <http://support.freenas.org/ticket/763> as it has not been resolved for those of us using the GUI. Far more detailed guidance is needed to enact a fix.

Please can someone tell me how to resolve this CNID DB problem before I am forced to abandon FreeNAS altogether and look for alternate NAS software. I have tried all the advice that has been given but I am still locked out of my server several weeks after the problem began.

I do not know how to allow access to the .AppleDB files with my Mac. There does not seem to be any way to do this from the GUI and I do not possess the knowledge to do it from the Terminal.

Please unlock this ticket <http://support.freenas.org/ticket/763> as it has not been resolved for those of us using the GUI. Far more detailed guidance is needed to enact a fix.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

I believe they're telling you to change your permissions.

Storage -> Volumes -> (yourvolumename) -> Change Permissions.
Be sure to checkmark "Set Permission Recursively" when you change things.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't know much about AFP (except that I don't care for it) but you can go for an "inspection tour" of your FreeNAS filesystem. Go to the FreeNAS console, select the option for shell access. You've got something like "/mnt/myvolume" for your volume, and maybe "/mnt/myvolume/myAFP" as a dataset within it that's being used by AFP.

So:

9) Shell
[...]
Enter an option from 1-11: 9
% cd /mnt/myvolume/myAFP
% ls -al
drwxr-xr-x 11 timemach nobody 19 Oct 17 22:16 ./
drwxrwxrwx 16 root wheel 29 Oct 17 18:39 ../
drwxr-xr-x 2 root nobody 6 Oct 17 22:26 .AppleDB/
drwxr-xr-x 2 timemach nobody 3 Oct 7 10:47 .AppleDesktop/
drwxr-xr-x 2 timemach nobody 11 Oct 8 08:07 .AppleDouble/
[...]

This is the AFP volume we use for Time Machine backups, you'll note that the main directory (./) is owned by "timemach", and that the ".AppleDB" directory is owned by root. I don't really know what the significance of that is, and it seems to fly against the advice you were given, but it works here for TM backups and it's how you'd go looking at the permissions to verify that what you are doing in the GUI is being reflected in the filesystem.

I don't know much about AFP (except that I don't care for it) but you can go for an "inspection tour" of your FreeNAS filesystem. Go to the FreeNAS console, select the option for shell access. You've got something like "/mnt/myvolume" for your volume, and maybe "/mnt/myvolume/myAFP" as a dataset within it that's being used by AFP.

So:

9) Shell
[...]
Enter an option from 1-11: 9
% cd /mnt/myvolume/myAFP
% ls -al
drwxr-xr-x 11 timemach nobody 19 Oct 17 22:16 ./
drwxrwxrwx 16 root wheel 29 Oct 17 18:39 ../
drwxr-xr-x 2 root nobody 6 Oct 17 22:26 .AppleDB/
drwxr-xr-x 2 timemach nobody 3 Oct 7 10:47 .AppleDesktop/
drwxr-xr-x 2 timemach nobody 11 Oct 8 08:07 .AppleDouble/
[...]

This is the AFP volume we use for Time Machine backups, you'll note that the main directory (./) is owned by "timemach", and that the ".AppleDB" directory is owned by root. I don't really know what the significance of that is, and it seems to fly against the advice you were given, but it works here for TM backups and it's how you'd go looking at the permissions to verify that what you are doing in the GUI is being reflected in the filesystem.

Thank you jgreco. I shall try that later on today when I have the time. I do not use Time Machine though. That doesn't change things does it?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not that I'm aware of. We have a few Macs and I've learned to intensely dislike AFP in a short period of time. Time Machine only works with AFP, and I've managed to mostly avoid AFP except for that.

jgreco this is going to make me sound really stupid but I am stuck with your instructions because I am unable to enter the character | from my keyboard. I have tried two other keyboards in case there was something wrong with mine but I just cannot type a |. Nor can my daughter who is a computer games programmer so it’s not just me. This is so frustrating. :(

* I assume that | is the character at the beginning and end of this line - % ls -al
I tried the characters l, I and 1 but each one threw up an error message.

** Having checked is seems that the letter is the lower case L but when I type the line I get an error.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help but I’m afraid that none of the advice has worked. I still can’t write to my server. The only thing that I can think of is to delete the whole ZFS RAID volume and create a new one then restore the data from the backup. Are there any last suggestions before I take this drastic step?

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help but I’m afraid that none of the advice has worked. I still can’t write to my server. The only thing that I can think of is to delete the whole ZFS RAID volume and create a new one then restore the data from the backup. Are there any last suggestions before I take this drastic step?

krakoliezene

Dabbler
I didn't follow this thread lately, but I did have the same issue with the apple db files. I deleted all the files in the Freenas afp shares beginning with . (that is .appledb, .appledouble .appledesktop) and changed permissions according to the user in the Freenas GUI shareconfig and that solved my problems.

I didn't follow this thread lately, but I did have the same issue with the apple db files. I deleted all the files in the Freenas afp shares beginning with . (that is .appledb, .appledouble .appledesktop) and changed permissions according to the user in the Freenas GUI shareconfig and that solved my problems.

Thanks krakoliezene but no matter how I set the permissions (recursively) I still cannot delete these files either from AFP or SAMBA. I know that these files are the problem but I just cannot get rid of them. :(

seggerman

Dabbler
Thanks krakoliezene but no matter how I set the permissions (recursively) I still cannot delete these files either from AFP or SAMBA. I know that these files are the problem but I just cannot get rid of them. :(

Did you try to delete the files directly on your FreeNAS box ? SSH onto the Box and then do an "rm ..." of the files. If you want to recursively want to delete everything you will have to do a "find". I don't know the exact syntax, but a google will give it to you.

Best

Alexander

krakoliezene

Dabbler
OK, now I understand your problem. When Freenas 8 appeared, there was no file manager anymore. I needed to manipulate files in Freenas directly on a regular basis, so I googled for a replacement solution. It exists in the form of WINSCP. Free software that logs on via ssh, if necessary as root. Then you can easily browse through your Freenas filesystems and delete what you have to delete. The only problem? It is a windows only app. When you have Fusion or Parallels, it shouldn't be a problem though. Install some windows OS and download and install winscp, log on to your Freenas server after enabling ssh in the Freenas GUI and you have complete control over all of your files. If you happen to have a separate windows machine somewhere in your network it is even easier. Delete all .apple*** files and it will work like a charm, for sure!!!

OK, now I understand your problem. When Freenas 8 appeared, there was no file manager anymore. I needed to manipulate files in Freenas directly on a regular basis, so I googled for a replacement solution. It exists in the form of WINSCP. Free software that logs on via ssh, if necessary as root. Then you can easily browse through your Freenas filesystems and delete what you have to delete. The only problem? It is a windows only app. When you have Fusion or Parallels, it shouldn't be a problem though. Install some windows OS and download and install winscp, log on to your Freenas server after enabling ssh in the Freenas GUI and you have complete control over all of your files. If you happen to have a separate windows machine somewhere in your network it is even easier. Delete all .apple*** files and it will work like a charm, for sure!!!
Yes, I should be able to so this from the Terminal on my Mac but if I do - ssh <username>@192.168.1.101 I am asked for my password but then I find that I cannot enter my password! I cannot paste it or type it. This is so frustrating as every suggestion is being thwarted by some unexpected problem. :(

seggerman

Dabbler
Yes, I should be able to so this from the Terminal on my Mac but if I do - ssh <username>@192.168.1.101 I am asked for my password but then I find that I cannot enter my password! I cannot paste it or type it. This is so frustrating as every suggestion is being thwarted by some unexpected problem. :(

did you set the password for the corresponding user from the GUI?

To delete all files recursively from the ssh shell first 'cd' into the /mnt/... directory (where your filesystem is mounted) and then:

rm -rf `find . -type d -name .AppleDB`

naturally test it first by first only executing the find command :smile:

Alexander

did you set the password for the corresponding user from the GUI?

To delete all files recursively from the ssh shell first 'cd' into the /mnt/... directory (where your filesystem is mounted) and then:

rm -rf `find . -type d -name .AppleDB`

naturally test it first by first only executing the find command :smile:

Alexander

Thanks I have just tried your suggestion but I get the following message for every single .AppleDB the Terminal found :-

rm: ./.AppleDB/__db.001: Permission denied

So, it's the same problem no matter what I try. I can't get rid of the .AppleDB files. I don't know how I can delete them. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.