Advice to move from OSX to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

iOsiris

Cadet
Hi guys
This is my first post so nice to meet you !!
I wonder if you can help me with this situation
I have a Hackintosh this mac is used as a HTPC with Plex.
This computer has 6 (six) drives all with HFS+ file system, this computer run PLEX to catalog all the movies and TV shows.
I like to move this to a NAS because i'm not to happy with the performance on the HFS+ drives also there is no RAID on the disk at this point.
Most of the drives are about 65 to 70% full so, my mayor problem is how to move the file system.
Is there any way to install the FREENAS and "convert" the disk ? or if i create the server and put one disk then move the files and put the second and so and so on is posible to create and array or a logical distribution if the disk contain any data ?

My computer have the following configuration:
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel i3 (3.69 Ghz)
RAM : 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: AMD Radeom HD 6500 1 GB of RAM
DISK
boot: 2TB
Disk 1 3TB
Disk 2 3TB
Disk 3 3TB
Disk 4 3TB
Disk 5 4TB

Any ideas or advice would be appreciate
Best Regards!!

m0nkey_

MVP
The board you have would be considered to be unsuitable since it lacks ECC support. However, if you're willing to forgo that warning, you may proceed.

Is there any way to install the FREENAS and "convert" the disk ?
No, there is no way to convert the disks from HFS to ZFS.

or if i create the server and put one disk then move the files and put the second and so and so on is posible to create and array or a logical distribution if the disk contain any data ?
No, if you do this, you'll be creating single vdevs, which is the last thing you want.

Best to backup your data, create a pool, restore your data.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Backup data or buy new hardware and disks for your freenas system since your current hardware is questionable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.