Filesystem to share between osx, freebsd, qnap

Status
Not open for further replies.

maydo

Contributor
Hi,

i have an external 2TB ssd disk and want to share this between osx, FreeBSD & qnap
so looking for the best filesystem.

zfs working on osx, FreeBSD, missing qnap
ntfs working on qnap, FreeBSD, missing osx
hfs+ working on qnap, osx, missing FreeBSD

just fat32 should work, but don't want use fat32

so the best seems to be hfs+
is there any way to rw & mount hfs+ on FreeNAS?
i cant find any information on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer

maydo

Contributor
thx for answers

hfs+ would be nice, but seems not possible :)

i think i will go for zfs and do without qnap

danb35

Hall of Famer
And just to make sure I'm understanding the question, you're talking about physically moving the SSD from one machine to another, right? Not sharing the files that are on that SSD? Because in the latter case, the filesystem would be irrelevant.

maydo

Contributor
yes i have an external usb3 ssd device,
its a lil complicated,
we have 3 teams working on same project

team1 working with files on qnap
team2 working with files on FreeNAS
team3 is working outside from lan/wan, no network,

all files from project must be synced together

team1 & team2 can be merged over internet (vpn)

so for team3 the only way to work on these files is an external disk

so zfs is working on osx and FreeNAS, I can use it and merge FreeNAS + qnap per rsync, external ssd per rsync on FreeNAS box

so this should work

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure that OpenZFS on OSX supports all the feature flags that it does on FreeBSD--it may take some doing to get a pool that's compatible with both systems, but it should be doable.

maydo

Contributor
I'm not sure that OpenZFS on OSX supports all the feature flags that it does on FreeBSD--it may take some doing to get a pool that's compatible with both systems, but it should be doable.

openzfs 1.6.1 for mac is working for both sides osx & FreeNAS, pool created with FreeBSD11

j0hnby

Explorer
Would it not be possible to leave the FreeNAS and QNAP to do their RSYNC, and only sync to the external device from one of these rather than both? This way you could choose whatever is most convenient for the Mac and whichever NAS you choose, rather than trying to suit everyone?

maydo

Contributor
Would it not be possible to leave the FreeNAS and QNAP to do their RSYNC, and only sync to the external device from one of these rather than both? This way you could choose whatever is most convenient for the Mac and whichever NAS you choose, rather than trying to suit everyone?

this is not possible,

team1 + team2 are on different places, and both teams has outside teams which needs external drives (there are more than one external)

so the externals needs to be resynced back to qnap + FreeNAS

if i find a file system which works on all three systems, i can resync externals on qnap & FreeNAS, would be best practice

with using zfs i can resync externals just on FreeNAS, this is not optimal but a workaround

j0hnby

Explorer
Ah right, so no network connectivity between the NAS boxes? Do the externals not always attend the same location (team1 or team2)?

maydo

Contributor
both nas boxes have wan connection, they can be synced,

the problem is the externals, couse sometimes they are on location from qnap team and need to be synced there, and sometimes they are on FreeNAS location and need to be synced there

j0hnby

Explorer
Argh, annoying mobile people! Do they have their computers with them when they visit? Maybe using a client to sync over the network if they do?

Dice

Wizard
Sounds like the setup would benefit from a VPN solution to bring the offices together.

Status
Not open for further replies.