Advice for a home nas (with some future upgradability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilingchip

Cadet
Hello guys I've recently finished building my first custom pc and have been toying with the idea for a home NAS as my next project. I've already read the Freenas hardware recommendation but I'd like some more input regarding the hardware that I've chosen. The main purpose of my proposed nas is mainly for file storage (photos, music, files, etc.) and also have a backup for the pcs in the house. The build is also good if I decide to upgrade it later on (CPU for transconding and increase the memory to another 8GB to accommodate 4x 4tb hdds) to go for more of the features that freenas has to offer. Here's the hardware that I've had my eyes on for this build:

CPU - Intel Pentium G3258
MOBO - ASRock E3C226D2L
RAM - Kingston 8GB 1600 ECC memory
PSU - Corsair RM550
HDD - 4 x 2tb WD Reds
Case - Fractal design Node 304

Total cost of the build: £677.53

I was going to go for the G3220 but pcpartpicker doesn't want me to add it on my list for some reason so I went for the G3258. Also if anyone can recommend another mini-itx mobo that would great as I'm I'd like to have a decent nas with a small footprint. Thanks for taking the time to read this and let me know what you guys think.

snaptec

Guru
Just for Home Sharing The cpu is Fine.
I'd like supermicros Board more. Can't say anything to asrock (does it support ecc?)
Change the kingston ram to something different, hynix, crucial, or so.
Have a search in the forums for the reason.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can't say anything to asrock (does it support ecc?)
The ASRock board does support ECC, and is in the category of "reasonably well-recommended" around here. We have a bit more experience with SuperMicro though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Or any of the Xeon-Ds, but pricing is similar to Avoton at best.

Stux

MVP
I'm leaning towards the Xeon-Ds.

Thing to remember about Avoton and Xeon-D boards is they have the CPU embedded... ie included in the price... but also, unupgradable... but also, generally low power...

Xeon-D CPUs have a lot of the 10gige processing hardware included in the SoC, so it can be very economical to step up to a 10gige board if going Xeon-D.

swings and roundabouts

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yeah, hadn't thought about the Xeon-D. My impression of the Avoton boards has always been that they're pricey for what you get, unless low power consumption is a priority for you. And since I'm running a system that burns about 300 watts at idle, low power consumption is obviously not a priority for me. (-:

boilingchip

Cadet
Shame supermicro doesn't have anything similar to the ASRock in terms of price and upgradability for a mini-itx board. I'd seriously consider it if they had one around the same price as the ASRock as they are go to boards for a nas.

Stux

MVP
Shame supermicro doesn't have anything similar to the ASRock in terms of price and upgradability for a mini-itx board. I'd seriously consider it if they had one around the same price as the ASRock as they are go to boards for a nas.

I'm seriously thinking about something like this for a mini-NAS I need to build later this year.

https://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-4C_-TLN4F.cfm

In either 4, 6 or 8 core (hyperthreaded) variants.

Up to 128GB of RAM, 2 gigabit, 2 10gbe and IPMI (with its own port)
a 16x PCIe slot
4x M2 slot (also supports SATA)
6 SATA ports.

Would go nicely into a Node 304 case. And has room to add either a stupid-powerful graphics card, or stupid powerful SSD or an HBA one day.

What more upgradability could you want?

boilingchip

Cadet
Thanks for the recommedation stux but that's way above my price point tbh. I did a quick seaarch on the forums and found the C2550 or C2750 which is bit more than mobo + cpu that I've got on my partspicker list. Would either of them be powerful enough for transcoding or any other features should I decide to play around with them? or should I just stick with the cpu + mobo on my list then upgrade the cpu later on?

droeders

Contributor

Stux

MVP
Yeah, that's what I've heard. The + models, i.e. 4C+TLN2F etc come with fans.

Don't know how quiet the fan is though

sremick

Patron

I ran into the same situation and so went with the ASRock board (see my sig) knowing that it could be risky because "it's not SuperMicro". Honestly the board has worked perfectly however for two years, came with the latest BIOS at the time so I didn't have trouble just dropping my CPU in, and the one time I needed email tech support the ASRock tech guy was very helpful and worked with me to solve my issue.

droeders

Contributor
Yeah, that's what I've heard. The + models, i.e. 4C+TLN2F etc come with fans.

Don't know how quiet the fan is though

Despite being pretty small, I'm satisfied with how quiet it is.

Without it, my CPU would overheat just running memtest86. This is in a 3U chassis with 4 mid-plane fans, where my drives never get above 35C.

Had some "fun" with Supermicro support for this issue, but that story is for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.