BUILD Build a freeNAS for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh heck no. The Itanium was around in 1999 (before the 64-bit alliance really did anything, and I think before it even existed). As I have a family member that works at Intel I had the luxury of holding one before they were public. I had lots of questions as the CPU doesn't look like a typical CPU. ;)

The Itanium was supposed to be a whole new architecture that had nothing to do with x86. The "goal" was to get rid of much of the old x86 stuff from the 1970s and 1980s, and by removing those restrictions you'd get (in theory) a much faster and more efficient system as a result. Unfortunately it was outrageously expensive, had very little software support as there were so few systems. It was very much the "chicken and the egg" problem from the 1970s and 1980s. Back then there were a bunch of proprietary systems that existed, and whichever hardware platform existed in abundance would take over. But the hardware wouldn't be abundant without lots of software, but the software wouldn't be made without the hardware. So which comes first? ;)

There was a quote from some Intel C(x)O from a decade or so ago where they said something around the lines of them not building the x86 instruction set they way they did if they had known it would later be a world-wide standard.

marbus90

Guru
Could we please split the AMD-discussion from this build-thread? I'd be happy to discuss this further in offtopic.

Harilal K M

Dabbler
Could we please split the AMD-discussion from this build-thread? I'd be happy to discuss this further in offtopic.
I think that will be good idea. we definetely need an open discussion about AMD-Intel cpu.
Personally i use both the cpus as desktop. And am much impressed with their performance though that will not be important in this forum. i think AMD should be in the picture to compete the Intel-monopoly as Intel costs more. I had a intel athlon back from 2009 which performs better than many new gen Intel cpu . Now it's used as testing webserver running ubuntu. The only problem is the drivers. we had to use one of the old versions of Ubuntu. Also i want to share one more experience, AMD cpus work well with almost all the linux distributions i used in the last 7 years.

Last edited:

alexg

Contributor
Harilal K M,

If you are interested in a budget build, take a look at Lenovo TS140. They are now selling at $219 and I've seen it as low as $209. Add another 4G ECC memory and you will have the cheapest FreeNAS solution. I have been running for 9 months 24x7 (occasional reboot for updates).

Harilal K M

Dabbler
@cyberjock @alexg i understand that ZFS will fail on Non-ecc ram . If i switched to UFS will work better than ZFS. Because i don't really care about the speed. About snapshots, is it possible to use snapshots in UFS? or something like that

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What anados said... if you want to use UFS you should find an alternative OS because UFS support is already removed from FreeNAS. ;)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
@cyberjock @alexg i understand that ZFS will fail on Non-ecc ram . If i switched to UFS will work better than ZFS. Because i don't really care about the speed. About snapshots, is it possible to use snapshots in UFS? or something like that

Any filesystem will be affected by non-ECC memory. ZFS will run, but you will eventually experience data corruption. This is the same for any FS. You might not notice it, but it will happen.

messerchmidt

Explorer
A guy on the hardocp storage forum got freenas 9.2 working on an athlon 5350 + asus board (which allegedly supports ecc). He is using a crossflashed IBM raid card for the sata drives. I considered the same, but as I will use my new build for work purposes, I elected to spend the money and go xeon + supermicro +ecc. You can take a chance. The 4 core supermicro Atom board won't be much more than the above said athlon 5350, while using less power and being fully supported. You can also get an hp microserver: n54L and add another stick of ecc ram to it. Comes with 4gb ecc and a dual core turionx2. Lots of bios mods, etc to really make it a basic beast. You can also turn same in a pseudo synology with project xpenology. I would stick with freenas though. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.