Adverts in the Alerts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0nkey_

MVP
I don't mind self promotion, the banner ads around the forums are unobtrusive enough, but when I click though the alerts for posts I've replied or have mentions for, I don't expect to see an advertisement. I beg of the corporate overloads not to do this. Can stuff like this be posted in the Announcements or perhaps a 'iX Systems News' section of the forum?

upload_2017-2-8_16-24-50.png

I found it obnoxious, too.

Cheers,
Matt

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Pretty poor form.

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Howdy guys, this was my call. We only launch 1-2 products per year and this is one of my methods to get the word out. We will continue to do this every once in a while when deemed necessary.

Jeremy Quinn
Director of Digital Marketing
iXsystems.com

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Howdy guys, this was my call. We only launch 1-2 products per year and this is one of my methods to get the word out. We will continue to do this every once in a while when deemed necessary.

Jeremy Quinn
Director of Digital Marketing
iXsystems.com
Very well sir. I would recommend Twitter on the @ixsystems account, etc., we do a pretty good job of retweeting such things sir.

m0nkey_

MVP
Maybe we forum users are not the correct target audience? From what I can gather, most users of the forums typically have basement data centers (a "server" with a few hard drives in them). While there are some people out there implementing FreeNAS in a corporate environment, typically the more senior members of the forums would encourage them to contact iX Systems.

I agree with @DrKK, this announcement was probably better geared towards Twitter.

What I wouldn't mind is maybe announcements for FreeNAS updates, security advisories and alike. That would actually be more useful to me.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I'm guessing most active members are also on the mailing list, where this also showed up. Easily ignored I suppose, just a bit annoying.

Arwen

MVP
Twice a year? You have my blessing. Was really afraid this was a new thing that would be happening often.
Agreed. I can live with twice or so a year. It was just confusing me, (but then again some say I confuse easily :).
While I have you, @Robert Trevellyan, can you explain what "2.5x compression factor for Hybrid Arrays and 10x for All-Flash Arrays" means as shown on the 'tech specs' tab? How does moving to flash media improve the compression ratio?

Cheers,
Matt
I am guessing that 2.5x would be the normal dataset compression ratio. But with an All-Flash Array,
they implement de-duplication. In some ways RAM requirements for the ARC are less with an All-Flash
Array since it's not that slow to read the flash disks. So instead of a huge ARC, they can use more of the
RAM for de-duplication tables.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Twice a year? You have my blessing. Was really afraid this was a new thing that would be happening often.

While I have you, @Robert Trevellyan, can you explain what "2.5x compression factor for Hybrid Arrays and 10x for All-Flash Arrays" means as shown on the 'tech specs' tab? How does moving to flash media improve the compression ratio?

Cheers,
Matt
I'll venture a guess that it's "We need to assume a 10x compression ratio to be able to say that we offer X amount of storage for Y amount of cash, which sounds totally awesome in ads".

Status
Not open for further replies.