A few ideas to thin down the forum

Redcoat

MVP

Davvo

MVP
buzz-lightyear-that-seems-to-be-no-sign-of-intelligent-life-anywhere.gif
More seriously, I really can't put myself in their shoes; what's the reasoning of a user that has a SCALE issue and posts in the FREENAS section? Can anyone help me understand?

Redcoat

MVP
Can anyone help me understand?
I'll give you my attempt: Because they haven't been around here long enough to recognize FreeNAS, TrueNAS, TrueNAS Core and TrueNAS Scale and/or attach any significance to distinguising between them in the Forum's context.

So, provide the posting user with a limited set of filtering choices at the first level as they approach making a posting - and at the second and any subsequent level (following the same philosophy) make it as clear as possible from the available choices if a poor choice was made earlier and provide a recursion route.

Arwen

MVP
Perhaps even using this. So, before;
  • TrueNAS Core
  • TrueNAS SCALE
Then after;
  • TrueNAS Core (FreeBSD based)
  • TrueNAS SCALE (Linux based)
This may help new users that understand the word "Linux" and maybe were looking for that specifically.

Davvo

MVP

Davvo

MVP
Have you seen what (and where) people post here?
Most of it is not "I have zero clue about what I am using" level, like "I don't even know what I installed".

danb35

Hall of Famer
You must be reading different posts from new posters than I am. I guess most of it is not of the "I have zero clue" flavor, but a whole lot still is.

Davvo

MVP
I'm seeing more of the "I installed a while ago and having issues" or "I have this issue, help" kind of posts, where usually report the version they are using; there certainly exists a few completely clueless cases, but as far as I see they seem sparse.
I'm referring to the mislocates threads, not the correctly placed; also, I mostly orbit around the CORE section.

Last edited:

MrGuvernment

Patron
My OCD is screaming, do we really need to break the alphabetical listing because people... don't read I guess? :confused:
Amazing how little people are willing to scroll and just pick the first place to dump something, but we know this is true because if your not on the first page of search results...you get next to no traffic...

Davvo

MVP
@Ericloewe and others mods, with the archiving of the FreeNAS sections there are loads of resources that should be moved into an open section of the forum.
For example @joeschmuck's multi_report script as it's used to report issues and ask questions about its usage, as well as post the script updates.
If you need a list you could start from the one in my signature, I have there a few resources that are (IMHO) instrumental to the community that I really wouldn't want closed off.
Then we have @WI_Hedgehog's own list which contains not only resources but requires a more in-depth verification since there are plenty of links to solved threads.
And for the rest we might need a bit of help from the community. As of things stand now however I feel this should be addressed rather promptly.
I would offer a hand in moving things, but it's something only mods or up can do. Might be worth opening a dedicated thread to keep track of the moving.​

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, I just moved a bunch of discussion threads, unfortunately I had to stop half-way because of a bug with scrolling that XenForo seems to have, which only manifests on mobile. Do report any immediately-relevant discussion threads for moving. I'll try to go through the section one of these days (maybe I can script this?)...

Arwen

MVP
Yes, anyone can "Report" a discussion thread of a Resource, and in the text of the Report, explain that the discussion thread should be moved. I've done it half a dozen times over the last 6 months or so. Anytime I notice it, I report it.

Plus, I occasionally verify that the Resources I wrote have discussion threads outside of the old FreeNAS legacy section. (Just did it now, all good.)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I plan to create a new resource for multi report 3.0 since I did not create that resource, but whenever I complete it. The old stuff could be archived then. I also am slowly working on an update to the hard drive troubleshooting guide, it needs a bit of updating, I've learned a lot since I first published it. Again, I'm slow about it but that is because my day job just consumes a lot of my time. retirement can't come soon enough.

I'm here but have been doing legacy replacement at work, so not much free time at the moment either.

Davvo

MVP
My take on this is that we, as members of this community, ought not to let the legacy the previous users and years of partecipation be forgotten; nowadays due to the increasingly uncertaintly about CORE's future, or more realistically with the nearing of CORE's discontinuation, I especially think so.
It is my personal belief, which can and perhaps should be easily dismissed, that a great deal of what TrueNAS is now it's due to the community it has gathered, and the shift that the path iX decided to go with has influenced this community and will eventually deeply change the way it is, one way or the other, I hope not for the worst.

With this post I don't want to tell other users, most of whom have a greater seniority than me both in terms of partecipation to this community as well as in life what to do; I do not want to tell you amazing people, which I learned to respect for their knowledge and passion to help, educate, and contiuously seek more knowledge, that you should put in more effort or try to fight the impending change.

I'm not clear about the meaning of this post anymore as it originally it wanted to be a simple "no problem guys, do things at your own time" but at some point transformed into a mix of me wanting to express my gratitude for how being part of this community changed me as a person and my unwillingess of letting years of this great treasured place of expertise be buried because of things changing.

Actually, I just finished watching a handful of episodes from TV Series "The Crown" which might have set me into this peculiar mood... as inaccurate as one may claim, what a great show it is!​

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not clear about the meaning of this post anymore as it originally it wanted to be a simple "no problem guys, do things at your own time"
Trust me, I do things at my own pace. I tried to be very active here but it can take over your life and for me, it will drive me crazy. I've been here since FreeNAS 8.0 was being developed, so since the beginning. Now I'm here when I feel like it and there are days I don't even look at the forum. I need to keep my sanity, unwind from work because there are challenging days having to deal with adults that act like little kids. But I enjoy participating here and learning, and sharing of course.

What was the topic of this thread? LOL