Adding to pool or having plex media server use multiple pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Norman

Dabbler
Granted I'm newer to the freenas world, I've built a FN server and a plex media jail on top of it with no issues. I've been using it for a year and it's been great buy my storage on my humble little setup is running close to its limits. I want to add to it, but realize I won't be able to do that without redundancy.

How possible (if at all) is it to add a new pool of hard drives but have my Plex media server read from all pools and my plex library on the one media server would show everything between both pools?

I only use freenas for plex and that's how I'm building it out even for the future, but I'd like to install enough space to have about 12TB free and then the same for backup. If I absolutely had to start fresh with one pool and just load my data back I could, just looking for options.

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can either add disks to your existing pool (preferably as redundant groups, if you care about your data, but you can also do it without redundancy), or you can create a new pool. If you create a new pool, you'd need to add it to your Plex jail, and inside Plex, set up a separate library for the data on that pool.

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
I solved a similar problem, I wanted all of Media shared though one Samba share to my Docker Plex container. So I had all of media in subfolders arraigned in a folder called Media, then folders in there called Movies,Music,TV. When I browse in Plex I choose the Movie folder for my Movie Library and it scans everyone in that folder. The trick is that you can map folders from any ZFS pool you want to inside a Movie folder and Plex will use it as a single Library. While I have 4 subfolder in Movies, because I chose the folder Movies, everything is added to the single Library. In your case there would be a separate folder created when you add storage through the Jail configuration.

Hope that was clear enough and useful, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.