Adding Second NIC; Can’t Configure

NAS0_DATA1

Dabbler
Recently installed a 2.5GbE PCIE NIC on my TrueNAS server. It’s a HP 8300 Elite workstation tower I’ve been using as my main TrueNAS server for a while now. I was running Core and did an in-place upgrade to Scale. Everything is running great. Tested all my shares, tasks, etc…

Issue I’m having is with configuring the new NIC. It is recognized in network interfaces. Goal is to set the new one up and disable the on board NIC. I understand only one NIC can use DHCP and the other has to use a static IP. The original is using DHCP with an IP of 192.168.0.39/24. I tried configuring the new one with a static IP of 192.168.0.38/24 but it won’t take. I then changed it to 192.168.0.38/23.

That seemed to work but if I disconnect the cable from the original NIC, I can’t access the web GUI. If I plug the cable back in, I can access the web GUI via either IP. Not sure exactly where I’m going wrong. Looking for some guidance/feedback from those who have been successful with adding a new NIC and configuring it correctly.

MrGuvernment

Patron
You can not have 2 NICs active on the same subnet I beleive with one DHCP.

Do it from the console at the system? Either reset the onboard nice, or set it with some random IP (10.0.0.1) and then set your NIC you want to use with static?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can not have 2 NICs active on the same subnet I beleive with one DHCP.
Fixed this for you--the issue is not DHCP, it's that two interfaces on the same subnet is an invalid configuration, irrespective of how the addresses are assigned.

It's also possible--likely, even--that the 2.5 GbE NIC is a problem.

NAS0_DATA1

Dabbler
Thank you all for the responses so far. Very helpful information. I guess I should've titled my post "replacing onboard NIC". The goal is to install new NIC (done), configure it (in progress), and disable the original/onboard NIC (pending).

@danb35 The NIC itself does work. Before installing it on my TrueNAS box, I installed it on another computer to test it and it worked perfectly fine. Tested it with iPerf and was getting around 2.2Gbps. Been looking more into this and read the info provided @jgreco Gonna go with 192.168.1.39/24 as the static IP for the new NIC.

Last edited:

NAS0_DATA1

Dabbler
SOLVED. Thank you all again. Got it working. This is what I did:

I changed the original NIC from DHCP to static and assigned it the same IP it had originally. I then changed the new NIC to DCHP. Rebooted the server and unplugged the original NIC and plugged in the new NIC to my 2.5G switch. When it came back up it picked up a DHCP IP assigned by my router. I tested everything making sure I could access the web interface and all the shares. I made an IP reservation on my router so that IP is not assigned to another device.