SOLVED Adding nfs share from truenas scale to proxmox gives permission denied (500) error

jgreco

Resident Grinch
With maproot, you should probably start out with using the "root" user as a starting point because of the potential for permissions issues with users (you appear to be using "proxnfs"). Once you get it working with "root", then switch to a different user and figure out where your permissions errors are.

RayRayNoob

Cadet
With maproot, you should probably start out with using the "root" user as a starting point because of the potential for permissions issues with users (you appear to be using "proxnfs"). Once you get it working with "root", then switch to a different user and figure out where your permissions errors are.
I started with root, just the way you want explain. Only thing is that I never got it working though. Well samba share works, I guess this is the fact of Linux life. Thing gets hard real fast

thaddeusf

Cadet
This is nuts. Moving to scale from core. Have several systems which depend on NFS connection to the NAS service and I cannot get this to work. I've spent hours reviewing the permissions and following threads. Setting up NFS services shouldn't be this difficult.

Does anyone have a guide that works? I've been looking at everything from permissions to fstab options.

I'm able to connect but when cd to the /mnt/misc mount point, I get a '-pash: cd: mist: Permissions denied'

Thanks for any assist.

thaddeusf

Cadet
On another thread someone is saying having hierarchal datasets breaks NFS, but not SMB. Does anyone have NFS shares working on TrueNAS Scale at all? I can't imagine a simpler configuration from my setup.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-19 164608.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-19 164608.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 102

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
On another thread someone is saying having hierarchal datasets breaks NFS, but not SMB. Does anyone have NFS shares working on TrueNAS Scale at all? I can't imagine a simpler configuration from my setup.

Thanks all!
NFS generally won't traverse filesystem (dataset) boundaries. If you are wanting to export some complex nested structure of datasets you will have to configure separate exports for each dataset.

thaddeusf

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. I have each of the children defined as the NFS share point separately. This is exactly - and I mean is the same - dataset and structure I have been using in TrueNAS Core for months.

I've solved my immediate problem by changing over to CIFS. But I'm curious why the NFS implementation is behaving like this in Scale.

Thanks

moos

Cadet
On Proxmox when adding the storage, click advanced and change the NFS Version from default to 4.2. This should allow you to set maproot to a non-root user on the share