Adding GPU to VM doesn't save the setting?

troonas

Dabbler
So I'm currently trying to pass an AMD Radeon 6700xt into a Windows VM, but I cannot seem to get the setting to "stick".

Here is what I see in the VM editor:

1681849410397.png

When I select the GPU listing, I see my GPU:

1681849434652.png

I select the AMD card and everything looks good.

1681849473031.png

I hit "save" and see "VM updated successfully."

However, when I start the VM, Windows can't see the GPU. Going back into the editor, the GPU is deselected again. This is the case if I hit "edit" again immediately after adding the GPU too.

Is there something I'm missing here? This happens with the GPU no matter which VM I try to add it too regardless of whether the GPU has been isolated or not.

Basserra

Dabbler
I also experienced this when trying to apply cpuset/cpupin. I found that it would apply, but would not reflect it in the browser. I would have to cache_refresh the browser to see the proper settings. I use FireFox and a Ctrl+Shift+R performs a cache_refresh, I think on Chrome Ctrl+F5 does the same. Try that after applying your settings and before booting VM

troonas

Dabbler
Unfortunately, I don’t think it was a caching issue in my case. Other settings changed at the same time would stick, while this wouldn’t.

I ended up fixing it though: I manually added the GPU as a PCI passthrough device (both the VGA and audio components) and suddenly the field was populated when viewing the edit form.

So not sure if this is a bug, or just poor UI design where the GPU selector wasn’t meant to be a setting and more of a status. The lack of detailed documentation and logging for TrueNAS is really frustrating sometimes, heh.

Basserra

Dabbler
Nice! I'm glad you got it working. Ya I think it's a TrueNAS issue, I don't fully see the point of 'isolating' the GPU as it wouldn't let me do it until the most recent update, and I also just manually add a PCI passthrough device(s), rather than selecting a GPU in the 'edit vm' settings.