Connor19

Cadet
Hardware:
Asus W680 motherboard
i7-14700K CPU
64GB DDR5 ECC RAM
3x 16TB HDDs, one used for redundancy

Nvidia Quadro T400 passthrough GPU

I built this NAS in december and had trouble with GPU isolation and getting a VM to work and presumed that it was an error with Truenas and waited for updates, after multiple updates I am still getting nowhere and cant figure out why I am having trouble. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to Truenas and right now just use it for Plex and for storage, but want to get this VM working.

As of now I can configure the VM settings and select the isolated Nvidia GPU but when I turn it on I get:
[EINVAL] gpu_settings.isolated_gpu_pci_ids: pci_0000_01_00_0, pci_0000_01_00_1 GPU pci slot(s) are not available or a GPU is not configured.

I am posting this after going into the BIOS and enabling some sort of Virtualisation setting which I thought may fix this issue but I am still having the same problem.

Does anyone have a solution here as I am just scratching my head this point and have absolutely given up trying to do this on my own

farout

Dabbler
Try this:
- In the BIOS make sure the iGPU is selected as the primary display adapter.
- dont select the quadro as a gpu during the creation of the vm
- after creating the vm, under PCI devices, add the quadro and the gpu-audio device.

- it only works, if the quadro is in its own iommu group

There are known bugs at the moment, that cause all sorts of errors....

Last edited:

Connor19

Cadet
Hi, thanks for the response. Something tells me the GPU isnt isolating properly or something because I did just this and when I started the VM, the NAS itself shut down, any idea what this could be?

banagalemr

Cadet
Do you have any updates on this issue or solved the problem ? I have Nvidia Quadro K620 and GTX 1050 TI. I isolated the GTX 1050 TI and intend to use this for my VM. But once I selected the isolated GPU, I get the same error as you are getting. Thanks.

Connor19

Cadet
Sadly I couldn’t solve it, I’ve switched my setup to unraid and got my VM running perfectly in the first attempt, I just couldn’t get anything working with truenas, just constant workarounds which caused different errors so I gave up in the end. For what it’s worth today is the final day of unraids current pricing which goes up tomorrow.

banagalemr

Cadet
Thanks for your reply Connors19. Yes, you are right—so many issues. My first attempt is to use my idle GPU for transcoding in Plex. But Plex crashes if I activate GPU. So I thought going into the VM route would work as some suggested. It is the same problem. Thanks again and good luck on your new VM. BTW, how did switch your setup to unraid?

Connor19

Cadet
I bought myself a good Samsung flash disk, paid for the unraid pro license and thankfully I didn’t have much data so it all fitted onto my 16TB external HDD, so I copied the data over to the external drive and then installed unraid, made a ZFS array and copied the data from the external drive over and made new shares and installed plex, so far there’s far less bugs so it seems far more fluid to me

banagalemr

Cadet
Ok. Thanks for the info.