Adding a vdev into a pool - will it stripe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petr

Contributor
Hello!

One of my pools is running with a single RAIDZ2 vdev. I am considering extension by adding another, identical RAIDZ2 vdev into the pool - which I understand can be done easily.

In documentation, I've found that pool will stripe the data across all vdevs when they are there since the creation of the pool. My question is - what happens when the vdev is added later? The pool in question is approaching 80% now. Would a simple removal and copying back of larger files "force" the stripe or how does the internal scheduling work? Is there a way to let it "reshuffle" itself to fill the 2 vdevs evenly with data to maximise performance?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ZFS will prefer the emptier vdev. Shuffling data around should help balance it, but is unnecessary and opens up a few ways you can screw up.

Just set it up and don't worry too much.

petr

Contributor
ZFS will prefer the emptier vdev. Shuffling data around should help balance it, but is unnecessary and opens up a few ways you can screw up. Just set it up and don't worry too much.

Thanks! The main question I has was if it ever started striping - which it does from your answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.