disk failure in pool extension

eagle246

Cadet
Hi guys

I have a little problem with my pool.

Initially my pool is composed of 2 hdd 4TB in stripe to form 1 vdev. I add 2 other hdd 4TB in stripe to form a another vdev to expand my pool. The expansion finish successfuly ( the spinning loading weel disapear and the pool display 14TB avalible).

Now the problem start. One of the new hdd start a non-stop "tic tic tic" (I have already heard this sound when I dropped a hdd and it never work again). I try to start plex plugin and it fail. I restart the freenas and I see on the screen: "port-05: hard disk, st4000dm004 smart command failed". Now when the freenas is booted, I can't see the hdd in disk section and my pool are not recognized. Conclusion: my new hdd have a manufacturing default or it was endomanged by the delivery man, it is dead.

My question is:
Is it possible to delete the secondary vdev (new extension)? To be able to restor the first one I had before, to have access to the data on the first vdev.
Is it possible to change the faulty hdd for a new and to rebuild the secondary vdev and restor the pool without loose the data on first vdev?
Or any other solution to recovery the data in the first vdev.

The time between the expension is completed and the hdd fail/restart the freenas is max 2-3 minute.

Thanks
Freenas 11.2 U4.1

Attachments

• IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 356

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it possible to delete the secondary vdev (new extension)?
No, not at this point. If the pool were healthy, in FreeNAS 11.2, you'd be able to remove the questionable disk at the command line. But if that disk can't be brought back online for at least a while, your pool is toast. That's what happens with a disk failure in a striped pool.

Edit: This is also why you should burn in/test disks before adding them to your pool.

eagle246

Cadet
Edit: This is also why you should burn in/test disks before adding them to your pool.

Ok thanks, I learn from my errors.
Next time, I test each drive before use and I setup it in raidz1 for more security.