Add support for Bjango's iStat Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bjango recently released an update to their iStat Server. They have a version available FreeBSD, but it isn't that useful unless it is installed outside of jail. It would be great if this was available on FreeNAS.

leonroy

Explorer
I used this piece of software for many, many years - it's pretty nifty - but it's a toy app. I personally wouldn't recommend sticking with it personally and certainly not in FreeNAS core. The third party versions for BSD/Linux I found to have very little activity on the repos and had serious bugs like memory leaks which would lock up our servers.

Bjango also update the app very sporadically and to be honest there are better solutions like SNMP, Zabbix, Nagios which are more mainstream anyways and which I'd recommend over iStat Server. Zabbix in particular is incredible (if a little tricky to setup).

I used this piece of software for many, many years - it's pretty nifty - but it's a toy app. I personally wouldn't recommend sticking with it personally and certainly not in FreeNAS core. The third party versions for BSD/Linux I found to have very little activity on the repos and had serious bugs like memory leaks which would lock up our servers.

Bjango also update the app very sporadically and to be honest there are better solutions like SNMP, Zabbix, Nagios which are more mainstream anyways and which I'd recommend over iStat Server. Zabbix in particular is incredible (if a little tricky to setup).

I don't think it should be enabled by default, but would be a nice option for OS X users. Also the iStat Server for Unix is no longer a third-party solution. It is developed by Bjango. With that being said they haven't updated iStat Server very often so I understand the hesitance to add it to FreeNAS.

The alternatives you mention seem a little overkill for the average user, but I will definitely check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.