Active Directory Faulted - Windows Server 2003

UTELChris

Cadet
Hi,

I have setup a fresh TrueNAS 12.0-U5.1 VM.
The purpose is to host the company file server and I need to be able to manage share permissions with AD users/groups.
The AD version is 2003, we are planning to upgrade to 2019 but with the current hardware shortages at the moment that is months away, so have to work with 2003 for the moment.

When I try to setup the AD link in directory services it comes back with a status of faulted and the following notification.

Attempt to connect to netlogon share failed with error: [EFAULT] failed to call wbcPingDc: Domain is not trusted or cannot be found..

I have set the NTP server to the DC and tried creating the computer account in AD first.
The hostname has been set to the netbios name.

I get a leave domain button after the attempt but if I leave the page and go back its gone.
If I try the leave domain button and give it credentials it seems to work. If I supply the wrong password intentionally both on the join and leave I get a bad credentials message indicating that there is communication between TrueNAS and the DC.

I'm a bit stumped on how to progress and would really appreciate any help/tips.

Thanks.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Modern Samba does not permit its SMB client libraries to use SMB1 by default. Server 2003 doesn't support SMB 2/3. You will need to set client min protocol = NT1 in Services->SMB.

UTELChris

Cadet
Modern Samba does not permit its SMB client libraries to use SMB1 by default. Server 2003 doesn't support SMB 2/3. You will need to set client min protocol = NT1 in Services->SMB.

Thanks for your advise, apologies I forgot to mention that I have already ticked the checkbox for "Enable SMB1 support" on the SMB service and has not made a difference.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks for your advise, apologies I forgot to mention that I have already ticked the checkbox for "Enable SMB1 support" on the SMB service and has not made a difference.
No. That's for the SMB _server_. Auxiliary parameter is for SMB client libraries. AD member servers connect to the domain controller. You need to basically disable security in order for us to bind to Server 2003 (which is ancient and should _never_ be used in production).

UTELChris

Cadet
No. That's for the SMB _server_. Auxiliary parameter is for SMB client libraries. AD member servers connect to the domain controller. You need to basically disable security in order for us to bind to Server 2003 (which is ancient and should _never_ be used in production).
After reading both of your comments carefully I understand the setting and what you meant now.
I now have a "Healthy" join after adding the suggested config to the "Auxiliary Parameters" field in the advanced options for the SMB service.

Noted about the security and shouldn't be used in production. Like I mentioned it will only be short term hopefully while we wait on new hardware that can support modern Windows Server.

Thanks very much for your time and help.