Accidental Factory Restore - Restore Encrypted Volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox

Explorer
So I hit Factory Restore, thinking it would restore just that page to the factory defaults.. Besides, wouldn't the screen TURN RED if it was so bad? I mean it does for something as simple and straightforward as a shutdown. Answer: NOPE... :-(

I was able to restore/import one pool because I had the keys stored (my backup pool), but POOL2, I don't have the key, so is the key perhaps stored somewhere that wasn't zapped during the restore so I can get at it? I would assume not since it would probably be a security breach.

In any case, the pool that appears to be lost was brand new, I spent part of the weekend moving files to it and organizing it. There is lost work/time, but it's not a tragic loss of data.

Any help is appreciated ASAP before I get impatient and just create a new one..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope.. there is no backup of the key. You are supposed to always have a copy of the key anyway. The manual makes it very clear that you should *always* keep backups of the encryption key in a safe place. Without it, if you do a factory restore, your USB stick is corrupted/damaged, or even a FreeNAS update will render your pool permanently lost. :(

Your best bet is to just recreate a new pool(MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR KEY!!!!), then start reorganizing all over. :(

Hey, at least you have a backup!

Fox

Explorer
It was on the list.. I actually have two back ups.

And your right about making the backup of the keys, as I did it for the first pool, so I knew better..

But, I think turning the screen RED when restoring would be an excellent feature.

Question, if I had saved the config, would that have also saved the keys, or does it only work from the VOLUME section (storage->volumes->view volumes->download key)?

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Regarding the red, please create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The config file does not store the keys. The only way to get the keys was from the download key buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.