Accessing Time Machine Share on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGVoid

Dabbler
Using FreeNAS 11.1, I created a Time Machine share and successfully created a backup from my Macbook. However, I want to be able to access the same files on my Windows 10 PC. How would I do this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Using FreeNAS 11.1, I created a Time Machine share and successfully created a backup from my Macbook. However, I want to be able to access the same files on my Windows 10 PC. How would I do this?

Honestly, you can't. When an OSX client creates a time machine backup, these files are written into sparsebundles. They are not accessible outside of time machine. It's just how the protocol works.

TGVoid

Dabbler
Honestly, you can't. When an OSX client creates a time machine backup, these files are written into sparsebundles. They are not accessible outside of time machine. It's just how the protocol works.
Can I access the sparse bundles? I don't care about the individual files

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can I access the sparse bundles? I don't care about the individual files

Well, if permissions are set correctly in the share, then they'll be visible, but what are you planning to do with them? In general, it's a good idea to avoid doing anything that will potentially screw up your backups. If you need to back up these to another location, then you can do ZFS replication of your time machine dataset to a separate system.

If you need a file-based backup, then you can use any of the multitude of 3rd party tools that do this (or just rsync).

TGVoid

Dabbler
Well, if permissions are set correctly in the share, then they'll be visible, but what are you planning to do with them? In general, it's a good idea to avoid doing anything that will potentially screw up your backups. If you need to back up these to another location, then you can do ZFS replication of your time machine dataset to a separate system.

If you need a file-based backup, then you can use any of the multitude of 3rd party tools that do this (or just rsync).
I want to mount it as a drive in Windows so I can back it up using CrashPlan.

Status
Not open for further replies.