Time Machine Backup Keeps Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

imnick

Cadet
I've got a share called MacbBackups on my FreeNAS 11.1-U4 and its got the Time Machine box ticked. im using it to backup my IMac and MacBook but i keep getting an error on my macbook.

I get this notication,
wIKjeKL.png

and this in system preferences,
EnII0TP.png

but i never get this problem on my imac.

I think it might be something to do with me switching between ethernet and wifi, but i moved the old backup into a folder and backed up everything again. The backup was fine and it did a couple more small ones cause it does them every hour but then after plugging into ethernet and then going back on wifi, but then starting the backup I got this.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
#1 Please do test restores. I have never had good experiences with Time Machine backups on anything other than Apple products (and that can be iffy too).

#2 Are you trying to run this over AFP or CIFS? What version of Mac OS are you on? Is this dataset used for any other shares or Time Machine backups?

c32767a

Patron
I've got a share called MacbBackups on my FreeNAS 11.1-U4 and its got the Time Machine box ticked. im using it to backup my IMac and MacBook but i keep getting an error on my macbook.

I get this notication,
wIKjeKL.png

I've seen the same problem with wireless connected Macbooks.

Time machine works fine on full time wired macs on my home network, but transient wireless machines have intermittent issues when the time machine share is on FreeNAS. I haven't bothered to troubleshoot it, since we don't use time machine at $dayjob and simply restarting the mac is usually enough to clear the problem. (plus I don't feel like dealing with the dragons that live in afpd.)

Status
Not open for further replies.