Accessing stored files

Mrfix71

Dabbler
Been browsing thru the forums but nothing seems to address my concern. Running TrueNAS-12.0-U7 on a remote server, with regular backups from desktop PC to the server working flawlessly for some time. Following recent issues on my Win 10 PC, I reinstalled windows but cannot access the files stored on the server. The server itself shows up in my network, and I can log into the Truenas Dashboard, but cannot link to the stored files.

Did you create a TrueNAS user and enter the credentials?

Note: Connecting using ROOT is no longer allowed

TrueNAS "root" user account cannot be an SMB user.This is an intentional change to improve software security and suitability for deployment in a variety of environments. Update the SMB configuration to use a different user account.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You don't access the files through the web GUI; Free/TrueNAS has never had this capability. Instead, you'd use a file-sharing protocol (most likely SMB), connect to the server using that protocol, and the files would be available there.

Mrfix71

Dabbler
I am still using ROOT and am looking at my dashboard now. Although I do have a stored user/PW for Ixsyatems and will try that real quick.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am still using ROOT and am looking at my dashboard now.
Again, you aren't going to see your files there--Free/TrueNAS has never supported this. Use one of the standard file-sharing protocols.

To log into the web interface, you must (only) use the root user. To log in for any of the file-sharing protocols, you need to create a non-root user and use that.

Mrfix71

Dabbler
Before this, I could access files via a mapped drive link. After reinstalling Win10, that link is gone. Not being able to access the files is kinda defeating the whole purpose for my backup files.

Using the IXsyatems user/pw combo, I got an incorrect PW message. Do I reset the PW thru the server setup interface or somewhere else?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Before this, I could access files via a mapped drive link. After reinstalling Win10, that link is gone.
Of course it is. So you need to remap the shared drive. This is a Windows question, not a TrueNAS question.
Using the IXsyatems user/pw combo, I got an incorrect PW message.
Why would you expect a password for ixsystems.com to work on your personal server?
Do I reset the PW thru the server setup interface or somewhere else?
You need to figure out what user was used for the shared drive, and use the password for that user. If you don't know the password for that user, then you'd need to reset that user's password (and you'd do that through the web interface).

Mrfix71

Dabbler
It seems like I am not explaining very well, or am not proficient with TrueNAS lingo. I'll try to do the best I can.

Once I set up the TrueNAS system up a while back, everything worked perfectly and I did not need to go in and mess with anything. As the old joke goes, "I've slept a night or two since then" and cannot recall details. After reinstalling windows, I am trying to get back in to TrueNAS to recreate the link I had before. I have the console setup visible on a temporary monitor and I am logged into my TrueNAS dashboard via the same IP address on the console menu.

Where I go from here to re-establish access to the stored folders on the server is where I am stumped.

1. Confirm that you have SMB share configured and SMB service is running on TrueNAS
2. Add a user to TrueNAS and make sure to enable Samba Authentication
3. Under Network Globals make sure WS-Discovery is enabled. Sometimes the service daemon crashes, but toggling a setting should cause it to restart.
4. Now try to expand the File Network on your Windows machine and find the TrueNAS server. You will need to enter the credentials set up at Step 2.
5. If that does not work, then right click on My PC and select map network drive and enter the hostname/ip or browse for the server, enable connect using different credentials, and enter the credentials set up at Step 2.

BTW: You might consider updating to CORE U13 one you have everything working.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am trying to get back in to TrueNAS to recreate the link I had before.
This is your problem--TrueNAS doesn't "create the link" (i.e., map the network drive); that's a Windows thing. "Map network drive" is something you'd have to find in Windows--not running Windows myself, I can't tell you exactly where it is, but if you can't find it yourself, I'm sure Google could tell you.
2. Add a user to TrueNAS and make sure to enable Samba Authentication
If it was running previously with this version of TrueNAS (and OP hasn't said anything about any changes to the TrueNAS box), no, he should not be adding users or changing permissions. But he does need to know what user he was using previously.
BTW: You might consider updating to CORE U13 one you have everything working.
I'd probably wait until at least -U1 for that.