About the CPU power for FreeNAS

If i dont need transcoding, my FreeNAS work like a simple network device or a external hdd?

• yep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nope :(

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cesk22

Cadet
Hello!

Its maybe a stupid question so apologize for me.

I heard the min requirements for FreeNAS is 2 cores processor with min 2.5 ghz clock speed. Its need only for transcodeing i think. i wann to stream to my LG tv and some PC in my house (streaming only for 2 device at same time) I think in 2017 every device can support my movie formats(.avi .mp4 .mkv) so i dont understand why i need to transcoding. If i dont need transcoding, my FreeNAS work like a simple network device or a external hdd? If its true, i dont need to buy 50$ processor, a 10$ is enough. Pls tell me if im wrong. Thanks for the answers.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I guess it is a language barrier but your question makes no sense. There is a hardware guide in the resources section. This topic has been covered to death, just do a search.
If its true, i dont need to buy 50$ processor, a 10$ is enough. Pls tell me if im wrong. Thanks for the answers.
About the least you should expect to spend on a system would be $300 to $600, not including hard drives. If you go super cheap, you are not looking at the guide. In that case, good luck.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think I understand your question. If you are not transcoding and are only using FreeNAS as a simple file server then you do not need a very fast CPU. The only thing you would need to do is install a DLNA server on FreeNAS and that could be either Plex because it does have a built in DLNA server or use a smaller application like MiniDLNA. Both are fairly simple to setup if yoyu follow the instructions and would leave any transcoding to be done by the player device.

As for minimum system specs, you still need to use the recommended hardware guide provided above. The cheapest option for a complete server is the HP ML10 and here is a good link to read about it. You still will need to buy some extra RAM and of course your hard drives but this is the least expensive option around right now, unless you already have something. Keep in mind, this is proper server hardware.

Good luck and if you have any question, please ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.