A few questions of varying difficulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Depending on your real aim, ln -s (symbolic linking) can probably get you what you want... if I try to show an example below, maybe you can see what I mean:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/vol1/documents
mkdir /mnt/vol2/files
mkdir /mnt/vol3/master  #this can really be wherever you want, but should not be a sub-directory of the other locations you are going to link... you don't want to create a recursive, circular link.

cd /mnt/vol3/master
ln -s /mnt/vol1/documents/ documents/
ln -s /mnt/vol2/files/ files/

Should result in:

/mnt/vol3/master/

containing "documents" and "files" and appearing to be a single drive for all practical purposes (including SMB sharing and whatever else)

You need to take care and do a bit of reading about how some applications work with symbolic links... sometimes backup software might just backup the link itself, but it can be instructed to "follow links" so that it will backup the entire contents of the linked locations... just one example where it needs attention.

sretalla