A few questions about updating TrueNAS

Grid21

Dabbler
I saw there was an update for TrueNAS to version base-os-13.0-U6. But I have never tried to update before, as I am new to this OS. I also noticed when I partly went through the update process, it said something about asking if I wanted to save the Secret Keys? What is that all about and what are the steps I need to know so I can do this right the first time and not run into issues. I already saved my TrueNAS Config, I try to regularly save it, but what do I do next?

Thanks in advanced!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please repost that question in the TrueNAS section of the forum. This is the legacy section for years old completely outdated versions of FreeNAS only. You are not running FreeNAS 11 or older, are you?

Grid21

Dabbler
Please repost that question in the TrueNAS section of the forum. This is the legacy section for years old completely outdated versions of FreeNAS only. You are not running FreeNAS 11 or older, are you?
I'm running TrueNAS Core. I am just not familiar with the update process. And this is the message I see before I go to update.
Am I supposed to save Secret Seed?

1700726567760.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Then please post in the TrueNAS CORE section:

Really out of curiosity - something about the forums obviously needs to be improved, because you are not the only one - what lead you to the legacy forums? If you don't understand what I'm talking about I mean this:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-23 um 09.15.51.png
There should be no new threads in this section in 2023. It exists only to preserve historical discussions.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'm running TrueNAS Core. I am just not familiar with the update process. And this is the message I see before I go to update.
Am I supposed to save Secret Seed?
So to be a bit more welcoming and answer your actual question:

This dialog asks you if you want a configuration backup. You definitely want one in case the update fails and you need to reinstall your system from scratch.
Then it asks you if you want to include all passwords in that backup - your admin password, the passwords of users you created, etc. That is entirely your decision. If you don't, so the backup does not contain sensitive data, and you need to restore from backup, you will have to manually set all passwords again. For a single user NAS that might be perfect. For a larger installation probably not so much.

Last edited:

Grid21

Dabbler
So to be a bit more welcoming and answer your actual question:

This dialog asks you if you want a configuration backup. You definitely want one in case the update fails and you need to reinstall your system from scratch.
Then it asks you if you want to include all passwords in that backup - your admin password, the passwords of users you created, etc. That is entirely your decision. If you don't, so the backup does not contain sensitive data, and you need to restore from backup, you will have to manually set all passwords again. For a single user NAS that might be perfect. For a larger installation probably not so much.
From what I read from the update, it sounded like there were some concerning bugs? Or would it be safe to update still?