A bunch of EDAC MC0: 1UE ie31200 messages (defective hardware?)

MisterE2002

Patron
Why do you assume it is not compatible? I used their compatible guide for the X11SCL-F and nothing should be compatible. Found some forum posts with users so i took the plunge. Bought the Noctua NH-L9x65 and it works great. (only applied some tape to the bottom of the case to avoid touching the bottom of the motherboard to the metal. But i would do this in either case).
Is this board narrow ILM?

nasBuilder

Dabbler
Not sure, it's not listed on Noctua's website as compatible. If I can still somehow attach it it's fine but no idea how hard it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 13.27.26.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 13.27.26.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 50

MisterE2002

Patron
Super easy to attach. But i have other components so YMMV. See my posts on servethehome. Also stated the response of Noctua so the motherboard revision can matter.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
not listed on Noctua's website as compatible.

Noctua is a gaming grade fan manufacturer; they probably don't expect their fans to be used on server boards, especially seeing as how Supermicro has a variety of cooling solutions available for most applications. There are lots of companies that make specialty mainboards, including Dell and HP, and I wouldn't expect Noctua to list compatibility for them either.

nasBuilder

Dabbler
Yeah, annoying to say the least as nothing is clear. There is something on the back side of the board that might prevent mounting a noctua. Might or might not, can't even find a single image of the back side to see how it looks like. Depends on revision hmm fine, can't even find any info that there are several revisions of x11sch, sellers also do not list what revisions they are selling.

Etorix

Wizard
In my opinion you should not use this for your (valuable) data. Did you find users with similar setup combinations? Users with ECC memory?
On a dutch site i found this: "ECC (alleen Xeon en Core i3 8th gen)". Meaning Xeon and 8th gen. This can be just be incomplete data on this site.
Looks like information which was correct at the time (8th gen. Coffee Lake) and was not updated for Coffee Lake Refresh (9th gen.).
This C246 motherboard is apparently intended mid-way between "corporate desktop" (or "low-end workstation", meaning "desktop with ECC") and "industrial", and works with ECC as good as Fujitsu/Kontron has implemented it—which I would expect is "spot on" because their typical enterprise customers would likely complain high and loud if it weren't.
Except for the lack of a BMC, this board is a good as one can find for server duty. Given that 9th gen. was the last with ECC support in Core i3 CPUs (skipping the "Xeon tax"), and given the state of the market for C246 boards right now (either out of stock or overpriced), I can't blame @nasBuilder for going with what is essentially the last C246 board that can be bought new for less than 200% of its introductory price.

It looks though that I can't attach Noctua U9S to it which is a bumer...
Why couldn't you? The board appears to have standard holes for LGA1151 coolers, as one would expect.

Etorix

Wizard
Ok, after having no messages for several hours I needed to reboot and they are coming again sporadically. Super annoying
Intermittent errors are the worst of all…
It seems that you have a hardware issue, but I don't know if it's the motherboard or RAM. You may test with other DDR4 modules you may have around to see if it's the board. Report both to Fujitsu and Kingston consumer support—the risk, however, if that they send you to the not-so-helpful QVL.

nasBuilder

Dabbler
Quite a pity I have to admin. Without tinkering too much in order to save power I just ran powertop with autotune and with the following configuration:

Fujitsu 3644
2 x 16GB ECC RAM
i3-9100
3 x 2TB SSDs
Seasonic Titanium 650W
1 Noctua U9S running (unfortunately, the board does not allow to stop the Fan with a low load)

6.5 W in Idle. Now, top that. Quite a pity, man, I actually like that a lot :) Maybe deactivating some USB ports or something else in bios would bring down power consumption even further.

nasBuilder

Dabbler
I'm going to buy some RAM that is officially listed as supported in the document from fujitsu and retry the tests. Some RAM from samsung is still available. Actually really want to keep this setup as it's perfect for my use case.

Attachments

• CoffeeLake_DDR4_UDIMM_ApprovedMemory_V1.6.pdf
    631.2 KB · Views: 71