why is TrueNAS randomly rebooting?

digity

Contributor
For a while now TrueNAS Scale has been randomly rebooting. Sometimes every 2 to 3 days, sometimes multiple times a day. This installation was from multiple in-place upgrades dating back to the FreeNAS days, so thinking that old crap was the issue I did a clean installation of TrueNAS Scale and manually re-entered all the settings. It still randomly rebooted. Thinking the boot drives/pool may be faulty, I did a fresh install to new boot SATA SSD drives/pool with new SATA cables and still random reboots. Thinking faulty memory was the culprit, I've run memtest and it says all RAM was good.

This TrueNAS Scale server is the VM storage server for my hypervisors (ESXi and Proxmox, via NFS, CIFS and iSCSI). It's dual XEON E5-2637 v2 CPU, 32 GB ECC RAM, dual Mellanox ConnectX-3 NIC, SAS2008 HBA and SAS2116 HBA.

Any idea why TrueNAS Scale is randomly rebooting? Any idea how to troubleshoot further?

PhilD13

Patron
Random reboots usually mean hardware failure. A power supply is probably bad or there is a heat related issue from a failed/improper fan/bad heatsink compound, or dirt clogging cooling passages through the chassis or a heat issue with a component.

digity

Contributor
Anything in the log files or something that indicates which hardware is the potential culprit? If so, which log file(s)?