TrueNAS UI Shell randomly looses connection when using mc

Andreaux

Dabbler
Hi all,
I've installed mc (Midnight Commander if I'm correct) on my TrueNAS installation to make life easier, but I have an issue with the Shell since quite a while and no TrueNAS update has gotten rid of it, even not the latest U7 I just updated to.

So when I open the Shell from the TrueNAS UI and type in mc, it opens up just fine, but as I'm navigating the file trees in either pane, it randomly stops accepting input. The only thing I can do is go back to the Dashboard, click on Shell again and launch mc over again.

Today for example, I was unable to navigate to 2 specific directories on my box without losing input. I had to give up.

If I connect via SSH, this never happens. However, going through the browser is easier sometimes and I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

I'm connecting to the TrueNAS box from latest Google Chrome on a Mac (macOS 10.14).

Anyone ran into this already?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I've installed mc (Midnight Commander if I'm correct) on my TrueNAS installation
What do mean you installed it? How exactly? Midnight Commander is built in to a default TrueNAS install so there should be nothing to install.
If I connect via SSH, this never happens.
Which is the recomended way of doing things. As you've discovered the shell in the GUI is not the best and should be avoided if at all possible.

Andreaux

Dabbler
What do mean you installed it? How exactly? Midnight Commander is built in to a default TrueNAS install so there should be nothing to install.
Oh, I wasn't aware. I'm used to always have to install mc on every platform I install, maybe it was indeed there already. Was it default back with FreeNAS too? This was originally a FreeNAS installation that I upgraded and upgraded for years :)
Which is the recomended way of doing things. As you've discovered the shell in the GUI is not the best and should be avoided if at all possible.
Sure, but if there's something to fix in there to make it work, we shouldn't just say "oh yes, don't use that". I don't see why the shell/mc should lose input randomly.