9.10.2-U6 to 11.1 -- handholding/jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

catnas

Explorer
I'm sure this has been beaten to death in the last year, but I've been trying for as long as possible to put off upgrading.

1. I have several jails running on my system. If I upgrade in the GUI by changing trains from 9.10 to 11.1-STABLE what is going to happen to my current jails? Will they continue to work?

2. One of my jails contains an OpenVPN server. This is my motivation to upgrade FreeNAS because FreeBSD 9's reliance on an old/baked-in version of OpenSSL means that the package of OpenVPN I'm able to get can't use the newer OpenSSL supporting TLS 1.2. I understand I can make a change to make.conf and then attempt to build OpenSSL and OpenVPN from ports, but I have inadvertently / without full knowledge of the consequences updated my ports (rendering them incompatible with the current BSD version) (also, this is goofy anyway because I actually need the newer versions of OpenSSL and OpenVPN so it's not much of a solution). -- Assuming that my other jails survive, am I going to have to delete this jail and redo everything to get the benefit of the newer packages?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Warden jails live on under 11.1, so you don't have to do anything if it doesn't suit you. After you upgrade, everything you had in jails will still be there and be the same (including freeBSD version).

Under 11.2, you will no longer be able to create new warden jails, but your existing ones will still run and can be managed from the legacy UI.

You could either migrate some or all of your warden jails with the script once you are on 11.1 or 11.2, but that process also doesn't destroy your warden jail (that is left for you to do once you're happy with the iocage one).

catnas

Explorer
Warden jails live on under 11.1, so you don't have to do anything if it doesn't suit you. After you upgrade, everything you had in jails will still be there and be the same (including freeBSD version).
Thank you for this! I was able to upgrade, and got everything working smoothly. I appreciate that.

Under 11.2, you will no longer be able to create new warden jails, but your existing ones will still run and can be managed from the legacy UI.
I took a look at the VM tab in 11.1. There are a lot of options here for # of CPUs, RAM allocation, etc., that made me a little nervous because it seems to be explicitly setting up a situation where you can overwhelm your system with too many VMs running. I see in that menu that you can choose a normal VM or a docker VM, but even the docker VM is going to have to be resourced.

Maybe that was already happening in the background with standard jails and I didn't notice, but can you explain docker VMs to me a little? I currently have everything running in its own jail so it's sandboxed and if I have to nuke it for some reason, I only lose the troublesome jail. I get the impression I may need to combine services into one docker VM with 11.2 for resource reasons in the future?

sretalla