9.10.2 installer reboots server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Savoie

Dabbler
Have a server that was previously running 9.3.x. Trying to install 9.10.2 from CD on to a new 16gb USB. In the middle of installation when it gets to "Installing base-os (1 of 5)", about 4-5 minutes into that line item the server reboots. Server is an older SuperMicro with 8GB RAM.
Thanks for any insight.

ccssid

Explorer
Have a server that was previously running 9.3.x. Trying to install 9.10.2 from CD on to a new 16gb USB. In the middle of installation when it gets to "Installing base-os (1 of 5)", about 4-5 minutes into that line item the server reboots. Server is an older SuperMicro with 8GB RAM.
Thanks for any insight.

Not certain this is the recommended method: I will use a windows pc. Boot from cd and load FreeNas on the usb. Then plug the usb into the FreeNAS machine. Reload the config and good to go.

Keith Savoie

Dabbler
UPDATE: I installed 9.3.1 using this same mechanism and it successfully completed. Then I logged in to the GUI and switched the update train to 9.10 and applied the update. This worked. Once 9.10.2 came back up I uploaded my saved 9.3.1 config and everything seems to be working correctly.

Glorious1

Guru
Thanks for any insight.
Why not just use the GUI to upgrade?
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/install.html#upgrading

Keith Savoie

Dabbler
My previous 9.3.x install failed to update. Whenever I tried it would only partially perform the update then throw an error. This way I felt a little safer as I still had my 9.3 install intact if something were to go wrong in me fiddling trying to get an update shoehorned in.

Status
Not open for further replies.