Hello,

I am trying to install FreeNAS 11 as a fresh install on the following system:
Supermicro SC836 chassis
6x500GB, 8x1TB and 2x80GB hard drives
X7DBE Motherboard
2x Xeon 3GHz dual core processors
16GB RAM
Adaptec SAS 51645 controller

The issue I am running into is after I boot off of the USB drive and attempt to install to the RAID-0 array of 2x80GB drives, everything goes OK until the install its 60%. As soon as it hits 60%, the entire system reboots without a bootable install present. I have reproduced this issue going CD to USB (Sandisk Cruzer Glide 16GB) as well as USB to USB (Sandisk Cruzer to Sandis Cruzer Glide). This system installs other OS' without issues. Is there anything I can look at that might be causing the FreeNAS installer to bug out as I have seen? I have not been able to find much around this hardware or the issue I seem to be running into... Thanks!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
From the motherboard's manual:

1-2 Chipset Overview Built upon the functionality and the capability of the 5000P (Blackford) chipset, the X7DB8/X7DBE motherboard provides the performance and feature set required for dual processor-based servers with confi guration options optimized for communications, presentation, storage, computation or database applications. The 5000P (Blackford) chipset supports single or dual Xeon 64-bit quad-core/dual-core processor(s) with front side bus speeds of up to 1.333 GHz. The chipset consists of the 5000P (Blackford) Memory Controller Hub (MCH), the Enterprise South Bridge 2 (ESB2), and the I/O subsystem (PXH). The 5000P (Blackford) MCH chipset is designed for symmetric multiprocessing across two independent front side bus interfaces. Each front side bus uses a 64- bit wide, 1333 MHz data bus that transfers data at 10.7 GB/sec. In addition, the 5000P (Blackford) chipset offers a wide range of RAS features, including memory interface ECC, x4/x8 Single Device Data Correction, CRC, parity protection, memory mirroring and memory sparing.*****

Older chipsets with a FSB are not compatible with current versions of FreeNAS.
See this thread and search the document for the term Front Side Bus or FSB.

edit: add links

Also this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

And this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/fsb-bottlenecks.46302/

Last edited:

Stuart Rowe

Cadet
Ok, makes sense. I seem to have missed that particular aspect of FreeNAS hardware compatibility. Thanks for the info though. Thread can probably be closed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.