9.10.2 can't boot after new installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mx738

Dabbler
Hello together,

it's the first time that i wan't use FreeNAS.
I download the 9.10.2 Installation iso, copy it with dd to USB Stick.
then i start the Installation on my System, everthing went fine the i have to reboot after the installation is finished.

It start everything, but then:
"Loading kernel modules: "
I can wait for hours, nothing more happend. I read here in the Forum that some has the same problem with the update. But for me it's a new installation.

My Hardware:
Board: MSI C236A Workstation
CPU: Intel XEON E3-1235L v5
RAM: 64GB ECC
LAN: Intel dual 10GBit
SSD for FreeNAS: Samsung PM961 128GB M.2 NVRAM
Storage: Areca ARC-1226-8I + 8pcs WD red 3TB (RAID 6 with HotSpare, 15TB net)

Any idea what i can do, that the FreeNAS boot up?

gpsguy

Start off by dumping the Areca controller and getting a proper HBA. Hardware RAID and ZFS on FreeNAS is a bad combination. Search the forum for examples. The IBM M1015 flashed to IT mode is highly recommended.

At this point, if you want to test FreeNAS while you work on the controller issue, hook up a few of your drives to your onboard SATA controller and try a fresh install.

If you still have problems, let us know which 9.10.2 build you are using.

Any idea what i can do, that the FreeNAS boot up?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to FreeNAS, sorry things didn't go as planned.

I'd like to thank you for posting your system specs.

Could you please treat me like a complete idiot and describe what your did to install FreeNAS? I understand that you created a bootable USB flash drive with the ISO on it but where did you install the OS to? I assume the SSD but assumptions kill.

Also, I'd recommend removing any add-on cards and disconnecting your hard drives for your pool/vdev. Try to keep it simple and minimize the hardware involved. Try to reinstall it this way. And also I assume you are removing the FreeNAS ISO usb drive once you powered off the machine and then booted it up?

I'm headed for dinner now, could be gone for a few hours but if that doesn't work, see if you can boot from a FreeBSD 10 Live CD/DVD image to rule out hardware compatibility issues.

mx738

Dabbler
At this point, if you want to test FreeNAS while you work on the controller issue, hook up a few of your drives to your onboard SATA controller and try a fresh install.

If you still have problems, let us know which 9.10.2 build you are using.

I remove the RAID Controller and make an new Installation, same problem: "Loading kernel modules: " and the System make nothing else.
The System did not Hang, if i plug a USB Device i see the console messages.

Welcome to FreeNAS, sorry things didn't go as planned.

I'd like to thank you for posting your system specs.

Could you please treat me like a complete idiot and describe what your did to install FreeNAS? I understand that you created a bootable USB flash drive with the ISO on it but where did you install the OS to? I assume the SSD but assumptions kill.

Also, I'd recommend removing any add-on cards and disconnecting your hard drives for your pool/vdev. Try to keep it simple and minimize the hardware involved. Try to reinstall it this way. And also I assume you are removing the FreeNAS ISO usb drive once you powered off the machine and then booted it up?

I'm headed for dinner now, could be gone for a few hours but if that doesn't work, see if you can boot from a FreeBSD 10 Live CD/DVD image to rule out hardware compatibility issues.

Thank you, it's not a Problem, only a new challenge, if everything works smoothly, it's boring :smile:
I download the latests Freenas Version from here: http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release/
Create a bootable USB-Stick, the i start the System and install FreeNAS 9.10.2 to the onboard M.2 NVRAM SSD. I also try a new installation on a basic System, without any addon card. I also try the Installation on a USB Stick instead the SSD.
The Problem is every time the same. The System boot from the SSD to the Point "Loading kernel modules:". The System didn't hang, because if i plug a USB device the console messages.

I didn't try a FreeBSD Live Version. But Debian Server Installation work's well.
I also try the FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 Version, this one works fine. Only the FreeNAS 9.10.2 Version will not work :-(

joeschmuck

Old Man
First of all I prefer to download the ISO from here, not that is should make a difference but who knows: http://download.freenas.org/9.10/latest/x64/

As you are likely aware, there are many people having issues with 9.10.2. If 9.10.1-U4 works then I'd recommend using that one until the developers figure out a fix. Also I'd submit a bug report on the issue and explain exactly your situation, list all the hardware and everything you tried to do to make it work.

Did you remove the NVM card from the motherboard? And do try the FreeBSD 10 Live CD, while I think it will boot up fine, it would at least rule out this compatibility as an issue.

One other thing to try and I'm only saying this because it could make things work fine...
I'm sure you have a computer, like the one you are typing on now. Create the FreeNAS 9.10.2 ISO on a CD (use an appropriate ISO burning program). Disconnect your hard drive(s) because no one like to accidentally wipe out their data. Plug in the USB Flash drive and boot from the CD. Install FreeNAS to the USB Flash drive. Reboot your computer and ensure FreeNAS boots up fine. If it does, now shut it down and move that USB Flash Drive to your FreeNAS system, still bare bones of course. Now try to boot it up.

Also, is your motherboard running with the most current BIOS? The current version is 2.5. If not then I'd upgrade it first.

mx738

Dabbler
First of all I prefer to download the ISO from here, not that is should make a difference but who knows: http://download.freenas.org/9.10/latest/x64/

Also, is your motherboard running with the most current BIOS? The current version is 2.5. If not then I'd upgrade it first.

I check the current BIOS Version of my Board. It was 2.6?!? On the MSI Homepage i can't find this Version.
So i download the BIOS Version 2.5 and downgrade the BIOS to Version 2.5. Now everything works fine.

Thank you for your help.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad that helped. Not sure what 2.6 is, glad the downgrade worked for you. Sometimes you need to think big picture and the BIOS is one of those things that can cause hardware issues.

Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.