upgrade 9.10.2-U6 to 11.1 failed : zfs doesn't support blocklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

semoule

Cadet
Hello,

I burned a 16GB usb key with ISO installer 11.1 (checksum verified ok at download) and then try an upgrade on my 9.10.2-U6 FreeNAS.
I choose to install on the current system disk and "create a new boot environment" option.

I tried to boot in UEFI and legacy BIOS mode and get the same error.

Hardware :
ASRock Rack E3C236D4U
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v5 @ 3.00GHz
16 GB ECC ram
SSD 60GB (system)
2x 4TB SATA (zfs mirror)

I have this weird error, does one has any idea ?
I can try a fresh installation and restore backup, but I prefer to follow upgrage procedure to keep old version just in case.
What do you think ?

Thanks!

Capture d’écran 2018-02-06 à 00.24.31.png

Last edited by a moderator:

semoule

Cadet
No solution yet, but I reproduce the problem on virtualbox.

My primary goal was to try a fresh install of 11.1 and then restore my configuration from 9.10.2-U6.
If all ok I would do the same on my production environment.

But here's what happened :
- I create a new VM, and proceed to a fresh install using a checksum verified ISO of 11.1
- I choose UEFI mode.
- Installer tell me it was a success and tell me to eject media before rebooting.
- I did that, reboot, and then get an unbootable system : no bootable volume found by virtualbox.
- So I reinsert the ISO and boot on it.
- installer found my previous installation, so I proceed to a upgrade instead of a fresh install.
- and I get the same error :

Capture d’écran 2018-02-06 à 11.22.39.png

virtualbox configuration :
1 CPU
8GB RAM
3 HDD Sata 16GB
Boot on ISO 11.1 virtual CD

semoule

Cadet
I restarted a fresh installation over the Virtualbox and choose BIOS mode.
This time installation ends correctly and I get a bootable and usable system. Great.

I restored my production system configuration on the VM and reboot.
I get a lot of error in the console during the first reboot during importation stage.
unfortunately I didn't record the video and I don't know where to find the logs.

Where can I find the import log to figure out if fresh install + restore old conf is still a good idea ?

Nick2253

Wizard
What happens if you do an upgrade?

I would suggest the following path:
  • Backup of existing FreeNAS boot SSD.
  • Upgrade existing FreeNAS boot SSD to 11.1U1 (my need to step through a couple upgrades to get to this point; I would do 11.0Ux as an intermediary)
  • Backup upgraded 11.1u1 config file.
  • Fresh install.
  • Restore 11.1U1 config in fresh install.

semoule

Cadet
Thank you for help Nick2253 and dlavigne.

Upgrade procedure with 11.1 fails with both UEFI or BIOS mode.
So I will proceed to a fresh install and wipe my SSD system disk.

I prefer to avoid the option of trying to import my current configuration in version 9.10.2-U6 in the new system, as I'm not in a total confident mood.
My configuration is quite basic and easy to redo from scratch. The hardest point concerns the jails, but I have only few of them and it contains stuff easy to reinstall (borg backup client, irc client, gitolite server).

So my process will be :
- backup my ZFS encryption keys
- backup my jails configurations
- screenshot my current FreeNAS configuration
- fresh install of 11.1 on a wiped SSD system
- redo basic config by hand using screenshots
- cancel wizard about ZFS part and try to import my current encrypted ZFS volume
- try to reimport my jails or kill them and rebuild them from scratch.

Just two last questions :
- Do you think importing my current encrypted ZFS volume from 9.10.2-U6 into a fresh 11.1 is ok with this procedure http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#importing-an-encrypted-pool ?
- what's the best option for the jails: keep them or rebuild them? in my case it's not a problem to kill them all, as each jails are containing simple services. And because FreeBSD version is changing maybe it's better to rebuild them?

Thank you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard
There's no reason to rebuild your jails. You should just be able to point your jail root at the correct path and they will all show up automagically (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-import-jails-to-new-install.28779/).

The process you describe seems good. I always hesitate when I see people use encryption, because I've seen too many horror stories. Just to prevent any possible issues, I would make a complete image backup of your current SSD so you can restore the whole thing in case you didn't back up the right files for the encryption.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
When you are talking encryption, the safest method is to back up everything, yes everything, before upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.