4kb Disks and FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

golemcito

Explorer
Hi everybody

How do i align a Samsung F4 (Advanced Format) under freenas 8?

Thank you

H

HwyXingFrog

I second this, I thought I was just missing something, but I can't find any info on it, and I want to try to do it right.

I have Western Digital WD20EARS that also have 4K sectors.

I have found numerous mentions of a 4K checkbox on freenas 7 (which I've never used as I am completely new to FreeNAS).

Any help, or guidelines to check that things are aligned properly would be helpful, thanks.

rjgould

Dabbler
This would be greatly appreciated as my HP N36L will be sporting 4 of the WD20EARS shortly.

H

HwyXingFrog

I've been searching everywhere, and getting bits and pieces everywhere, but not the real answers I need to be comfortable starting a new raidz.

Even if it is just a few commands we can run in the terminal to verify the 4K alignment is done, or numbers to expect with proper alignment or improper alignment.

Really hoping someone with some know-how comes across this thread.....

jfr2006

Contributor
Hi:

In my tests before taking the step forward to freenas, i tested a single WD20EADS 2TB drives (which i think is 4KB sectors). I got transfer rates in the order of 45MB/s using samba and from my current synology NAS to the freenas system, so i think there is no problem with 4KB sectors drives.

golemcito

Explorer
Hi:

In my tests before taking the step forward to freenas, i tested a single WD20EADS 2TB drives (which i think is 4KB sectors). I got transfer rates in the order of 45MB/s using samba and from my current synology NAS to the freenas system, so i think there is no problem with 4KB sectors drives.

I think 45MB/s is not a good number, i get better speeds under win7...

jfr2006

Contributor
It was only a disk, and also my synology could be limiting the reading speed ;)

jfr2006

Contributor
Hi:

done a new test, this time i copied from my laptop to the freenas system (mounted on my desktop with 2x120GB + 2TB WD20EACS in Raidz) and i was able to get 100MB/s of speed ;)

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Over Samba? 100Mb/s ? ... huh

jfr2006

Contributor
Yaps! CPU usage was 25%. Do you want proofs?

Regards.

jfr2006

Contributor

esamett

Patron
I believe this is in the roadmap for next release. fn8.0 does not handle 4k sector drives properly yet. If in a hurry you can build your own freenas from development source I am told. should be in next release.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
fn8.0 does not handle 4k sector drives properly yet

Hmpf ... this ... so the support is here, but it is not implemented yet in v8, right?

Tekkie

Patron
4KB a no-go with FreeNAS8

Is my understanding of the current 4KB situation correct when I say that FreeNAS 8 currently does not support these drives?

100 MB/s for samba is doable, you just need a fast system.

my system (dual gigabit nic) can sustain 200MB/s in and out at the same time.

Tekkie

Patron

Addrelyn

Dabbler
Yes, in v7.2, 4kb sectors are supported from what I read, for V8, it is not sure.

I will try very soon with mine... Hoping it does work:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.