3000VA - 220V UPS under 1000€

Asimov1973

Dabbler
Hello friends,
I need a 2000VA / 3000VA @ 220V compatible with FREENAS 9.10, possibly with network management around the 1000€ - 1300€ price.

On amazon I found brands like V7 and FSP but I can’t find them in the « UPS Freenas compatibility list » (which is quite old).

What you people think about this:

At the moment I’m not too much convinced to buy APC UPS on ebay, I prefer to have a new product (even with less features) but that is compatible of course with Freenas.

Ideally, I would love a 2U rack mountable UPS than the tower format.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
After struggling to get two different brands with USB-HID interfaces to work - without success - I recommend getting a brand and model with a network management card and SNMP. Since you are planning to spend up to one grand, anyway, there will probably be ones with Ethernet included.
I use a Cyberpower PR750ELCD with RMCARD205 (Ethernet not included for this small model) and would recommend the brand.

Management card firmware seems to be consistently "old school", somewhat quirky, crashing when trying to use HTTPS with a 4096 bit certificate ... across all manufacturers. Same for the Windows software that comes with these devices. Electrical engineers, not software engineers at work, it seems.

Last edited:

Asimov1973

Dabbler
After struggling to get two different brands with USB-HID interfaces to work - without success - I recommend getting a brand and model with a network management card and SNMP. Since you are planning to spend up to one grand, anyway, there will probably be ones with Ethernet included.
I use a Cyberpower PR750ELCD with RMCARD205 (Ethernet not included for this small model) and would recommend the brand.

Management card firmware seems to be consistently "old school", somewhat quirky, crashing when trying to use HTTPS with a 4096 bit certificate ... across all manufacturers. Same for the Windows software that comes with these devices. Electrical engineers, not software engineers at work, it seems.

Does the network card with SNMP somehow allow to make any UPS compatible with FREENAS because you don’t need any driver like you need for the USB connection or you advise to buy a network management card just for monitoring purposes under windows?

Asimov1973

Dabbler
Addition to @Patrick M. Hausen FreeNAS 9.10 is considered "depricated", you shouldn't ever buy hardware for it, certainly not up-to a grand or more.

My NAS is at home behind a firewall that give him no access to the internet. I’m really used to 9.10
and I don’t want to upgrade because I don’t want to have problems. My logic is that if an UPS work with Frenas 9.10 it will work also on the more recent releases. Buying today an UPS that support 9.10
allow me to keep things as they are without forcing me in upgrading just for the sake of upgrade.

ornias

Wizard
My NAS is at home behind a firewall that give him no access to the internet. I’m really used to 9.10
and I don’t want to upgrade because I don’t want to have problems. My logic is that if an UPS work with Frenas 9.10 it will work also on the more recent releases. Buying today an UPS that support 9.10
allow me to keep things as they are without forcing me in upgrading just for the sake of upgrade.
You are free to do stupid things, you do you. Thats not the problem.
The problem is we shouldn't help you with it IMHO ;-)

Upgrade for the sake of upgrade? Any idea how many performance improvements there are in 12? :P

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Does the network card with SNMP somehow allow to make any UPS compatible with FREENAS because you don’t need any driver like you need for the USB connection ...?
Precisely. SNMP is a standard (although not the most modern or best, one could argue) and any SNMP UPS should "just work" without worrying about quirky USB protocols. If your system still has a serial port, any officially supported serial connection should work, too. My systems don't have serial, anymore.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
In the end I chose to order the RIELLO Silent Pro SEP 3000 with a transfer time of zero ms and 3000VA.
I also ordered a RIELLO Silent PRO 1000 for my two PCS
I already used in the past a RIELLO DIALOG 800 which was fully compatible with FreeNAS
Thanks everybody for pointing out that Freenas is a software, that SNMP is a standard, that 12 is better than 9.10.

[moderator note: edited for tone - JG]

Last edited by a moderator:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
[mod hat on]

Folks, a reminder to please keep it civil. Participants are here to help each other. Sometimes being behind glass causes some of the nuances or meanings to be lost or misinterpreted. Please do not say offensive things, and, more importantly, when someone says something, see if you can interpret it in a way that gives the poster the benefit of the doubt.

Ad hominem attacks will not be tolerated, and can and will result in moderator action.

If you have issue with someone, you are always free to ignore them. Click their name, then "ignore."

Thank you and have a nice day.