3 out of 5 new WD Red Drive have separate issues

cdndude

Cadet
As the title suggests, I built a little NAS and used 5 WD Red 10TB in raidz2.

1. Before I created the pool I ran long S.M.A.R.T tests just to test them and one could not complete. I took it back to the retailer and exchanged it no problem.

2. 3 weeks down the line I notice that another one of the HDD is vibrating much louder than the others and even shaking the case to a certain extent. I replaced cables, switched drive position, used a external drive caddy but ultimately sent this in for RMA with WD.

3. That takes us to now where I just got the drive back and resilvered to restore my pool. Now another drive is showing as faulted with 102 "198 Offline_Uncorrectable" and 808 "197 Current_Pending_Sector".

I've built two other NAS setups but never encountered THIS many issues with hard drives let alone WD Red. Is this normal practice? Im keeping an eye on it but will most likely send this third drive in for an RMA. I've attached the smartctl -a /dev/da* for the drive in question

Attachments

• Smart results.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is this normal practice?
Not normal, but not statistically impossible...

Sorry you're having a bad time, but you should just chalk it up to a bit (or a lot, probably) of bad luck.

Think about your setup in terms of other factors that may have contributed to any of the failures, but it sounds like they were all just DoA.

cdndude

Cadet
Thanks for the input, its for work so at least its not my money in shipping costs but its a headache none the less. On Unraid Id use this one app to "Pre-Clear" or "Zero" the drive before using. Does Truenas have anything like that?
Not normal, but not statistically impossible...

Sorry you're having a bad time, but you should just chalk it up to a bit (or a lot, probably) of bad luck.

Think about your setup in terms of other factors that may have contributed to any of the failures, but it sounds like they were all just DoA.

sretalla