3 disks what raid to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave2500

Dabbler
Hello,
before i put the system together im going to have 3 disks in a ts140

should i use ZFS or should i do RAID 1

I am going to use hard drives that are decent (seagate so not the greatest) and i cant afford to lose data so would you do raid 1 or just use ZFS

Thanks everyone
Dave

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you're using FreeNAS 9.3, you will be using ZFS--there's no way around that. You should never use a hardware RAID controller with ZFS, so that's out. So, your options are either a three-way mirror or RAIDZ1. A three-way mirror would give you the capacity of one disk, but would tolerate the failure of any two disks. RAIDZ1 would give you the capacity of two disks, but would only tolerate the failure of one disk. If you can add a fourth disk, the better option would probably be RAIDZ2, which would give you the capacity of two disks, and tolerate the failure of any two disks.

Dave2500

Dabbler
If you're using FreeNAS 9.3, you will be using ZFS--there's no way around that. You should never use a hardware RAID controller with ZFS, so that's out. So, your options are either a three-way mirror or RAIDZ1. A three-way mirror would give you the capacity of one disk, but would tolerate the failure of any two disks. RAIDZ1 would give you the capacity of two disks, but would only tolerate the failure of one disk. If you can add a fourth disk, the better option would probably be RAIDZ2, which would give you the capacity of two disks, and tolerate the failure of any two disks.
Ok thank you so much

That answers my question

THanks again
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.