2.5Gb NIC not detecting in 12.0-U4 RTL8125

Hyacin

Cadet
Alright, I made some good progress this evening backporting the 13.0 module (which is when it will be officially supported) to 12.2 -

Code:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  2.06 GBytes  1.77 Gbits/sec  209             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  2.06 GBytes  1.77 Gbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.
root@rtl_test:/boot/modules # ifconfig ue0
ue0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=60009b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        ether 5c:85:7e:31:42:8b
        inet 10.50.10.11 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.50.10.255
        media: Ethernet Other <full-duplex> (2500Base-X <full-duplex>)
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
root@rtl_test:/boot/modules # uname -a
FreeBSD rtl_test 12.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE r366954 GENERIC  amd64
root@rtl_test:/boot/modules #

That's on my test box ... I'll try it on my PR4100 tomorrow I think, I'm zonked.

I wish I could outline exactly how I did it as sharing a binary kernel module is sketchy af ...

I think the gist of it was -

* check out the the commit with the most recent change to if_ure.c or if_urereg.h
* copy those two files, plus usbdevs and usb.h out of the tree
* check out tags/release/12.2.0
* copy those files back in
* go to sys/dev/modules/usb/ure (or whatever it is) and `make`
* kldload the resulting kernel module

Oh, wait, no, I forgot, I also had to handpatch in the ether_is_zero function from here - https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/rtl8153-usb-nic-help.66172/

That took a lot of fighting and figuring to accomplish, so I'm glad it appears to have worked.

Hyacin

Cadet
Yeah, that wasn't too long that I couldn't resist trying it out, lol ...

Code:
root@freenas[/boot/modules]# ifconfig -l
re0 re1 lo0 pflog0 lagg0 bridge0 vnet0.2
root@freenas[/boot/modules]# kldunload if_ure.ko
root@freenas[/boot/modules]# kldload if_ure_new.ko
root@freenas[/boot/modules]# ifconfig -l
re0 re1 lo0 pflog0 lagg0 bridge0 vnet0.2 ue0
root@freenas[/boot/modules]#

Code:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.60 GBytes  1.37 Gbits/sec                  receiver
-----------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on 5201
-----------------------------------------------------------
^Ciperf3: interrupt - the server has terminated
root@freenas[/mnt/raid-z/plots]# ifconfig ue0
ue0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=60009b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        ether 5c:85:7e:31:42:8b
        inet 10.55.10.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.55.10.255
        media: Ethernet Other <full-duplex> (2500Base-X <full-duplex>)
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
root@freenas[/mnt/raid-z/plots]# uname -a
FreeBSD freenas.local 12.2-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p10 b26f74b5984(HEAD) TRUENAS  amd64
root@freenas[/mnt/raid-z/plots]#

Not quite as fast as I'd like, but a hell of a lot better than the ~450 Mbps I was getting in my initial tests.

CrazyRam

Cadet
I have onboard NIC working

Tried USB which is detected but sadly I haven't been able to get an IP for it.

Output of: usbconfig -d ugen0.3 dump_device_desc is the same as yours above apart from the iSerialNumber.

Hyacin

Cadet
I have onboard NIC working

Tried USB which is detected but sadly I haven't been able to get an IP for it.

Output of: usbconfig -d ugen0.3 dump_device_desc is the same as yours above apart from the iSerialNumber.

If it's the same RTL8156 there won't be an official module for it until FreeBSD 13.0. You can go through the process I outlined to build one, or if you'd like I can upload the one I made for 12.2 AMD64 somewhere - though downloading and loading kernel modules from random internet strangers is generally a bad idea ;-)

CrazyRam

Cadet
Sorry have been a way for the weekend. My system has a working RTL8125 Onboard NIC working. I was just testing the USB to Ethernet adaptor but couldn't get it to work.

damonizer

Dabbler
@sretalla I see.

For everyone else who hasn't heard of Tunables before you can add them in Menu - System - Tunables

Here's a screenshot of the first variable:

View attachment 47520
Thank you for the first variable..however how is the second one supposed to be configured?

Attachments

• Second variable.png
    Second variable.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 479

sretalla