AustinMatt

Cadet
  • Motherboard make and model
    • Dell 0GM819
  • CPU make and model
    • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz
  • RAM quantity
    • 2 GB DDR2 800 MT/s (x4) total 8 GB
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
    • Boot Drive: PNY CS900 SSD 120 GB
  • Hard disk controllers
    • None
  • Network cards
    • Intel gigabit ethernet controller onboard device

I am attemtping to install TrueNAS Scale on a Dell Optiplex 755. The installation appears to be successful. When booting for the 1st time, I get the option to boot TrueNAS Scale, I see the scrolling of text for a few seconds and then the screen goes blank. I have also noticed that the NIC turns off, not more blinking lights. My router no longer lists that IP address, I cannot access the web interface nor can I ping the IP address. The funny thing is I can install TrueNAS Core just fine and everything works great. I have also successfully run Ubuntu 22 on the same machine. I think I meet all the minimum hardware requirements. Not sure what I would be missing at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PhilD13

Patron
Scale is based on Debian. Can you install that on the machine and get it to run?

AustinMatt

Cadet
I can install Ubuntu just fine and that is Debian based. Do you think that is the same? Or should try to install Debian?

PhilD13

Patron
Debian can give issues sometimes where something different like Ubuntu does not and that was why I suggested you try Debian. Or maybe the processor is just too old? Weren't the Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 out around 2008?

AustinMatt

Cadet
@PhilD13 I took your advice and tried to install Debian 12, and basically the same thing happened. Everything appears to install just fine, but upon reboot, all I get is a blank screen. Except this time the NIC is blinking, but I am still unable to ping the IP. So, like @PhilD13 said, it appears to be a Debian thing. And yes the processor is old, but I think it's probably the best one you can get for this motherboard. Is anyone aware of any workarounds?

danb35

Hall of Famer
And yes the processor is old, but I think it's probably the best one you can get for this motherboard.
That might suggest that a 15-year-old system is just a little too outdated for this application. The front-side bus is going to kill any semblance of performance, too. TrueNAS is pretty resource-intensive, and the memory management in SCALE isn't the greatest. You might find that CORE works better, but the real answer is to use more modern hardware.