13 rc1 VNC

Barric

Cadet
Hi All

just downloaded truenas 13 rc1, firstime user, yes I did read guides etc, but cant find a working solution
So far I have my dl360 running truenas and it appeard to do as it should I installed Plex and that seems fine, now I want to run some VMs
I have plenty of storage/ram/cpus to use up.
I wanted to start with a simple windows install, go through the steps and even watched some youtubes, they are all doing what I am and for them it works.
I just cant get a vnc connection to any VM I create.... is this just a bug in this release? I just get no vnc server

anyone have a solution

thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You're certainly right that even in the RELEASE version, there's some weirdness happening there...

It seems to me that the NOVNC connection is listening on the wrong port (actually at a port number which is one less in the 2nd character position than advertised on the GUI).

In addition to that, it seems the connection to the port that's actually listening is also rejected.

In one VM's case, I could see a bunch of Python3.9 processes holding that port open, so maybe there's something causing too many listeners to launch.

Anyway, log a bug report if you have the time.

So I also see from this thread: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ix-anyone-have-success-with-nightlies.101240/

That there's apparently something in the release notes that I didn't pay attention to...

Yep, it's right there:

Don't bother with logging a bug.

Last edited:

kappclark

Explorer
Just found this out the hard way --on release 13.0 STABLE -- so looks like vms still there, just cannot access them via vnc ... they do not respond to ping as well ... any timetable on the update to 13 ?

Whattteva

Wizard
So I went ahead and did the change to that vm.py file.
It worked great and I was able to connect to my Fedora VM... except for one caveat. If I disconnect or lose that connection, then I can no longer connect to the VM and TigerVNC tells me that the machine is actually actively refusing the connection. Is this a different bug from NAS-114595?

It's worth noting that the VM will again, accept VNC connections if I power-cycle it so it seems like the VNC server somehow stops binding to the socket after a client disconnects?

UPDATE:
I did a bit more snooping around and I've confirmed what I suspected (socket no longer bound). The attached image used to be displayed when I run:
Code:
sockstat -4 | grep 5900
USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS
root     bhyve      60828 8  tcp4   *:5900                *:*

Once I can no longer connect, the output of the command is empty. Is there a way to restart the vnc service?

UPDATE2:
Seems like when VNC stops accepting connections, what used to look like this:

Code:
# sockstat -4 -p 5800-5900
root     bhyve      60828 8  tcp4   *:5900                *:*
root     bhyve      60828 14 tcp4   192.168.50.10:5900    192.168.50.2:60391
root     python3.9  1822  3  tcp4   *:5800

turns to this:

Code:
 # sockstat -4 -p 5800-5900
root     python3.9  1822  3  tcp4   *:5800                *:*
?        ?          ?     ?  tcp4   192.168.50.10:5900    192.168.50.2:60824

And from this point on, it refuses any future connections. I think if I had to guess here, it looks like the actual bhyve process crashed even though TrueNAS web GUI still reports the VM to be up.

Last edited:

Punderino

Cadet
I replaced the vm.py with the latest from GitHub entirely and am not experiencing that issue

Whattteva

Wizard
I did some more snooping around and it seems like it's a separate unrelated bug. I found other people on reddit having similar issue since back in 11.3.
Here's the bug link. https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-104926

It appears they just closed the bug without doing any work on it. But clearly it's still happening to some people.

UPDATE:
I avoided the bhyve crashing issue by just installing a VNC server on the guest OS itself rather than relying on bhyve's VNC server.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard