FreeNAS 11 - RC VMs not starting/working

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddi1984

Dabbler
Hi,

I updated FreeNAS 9.10-U5 to FreeNAS 11-RC a few days ago. Everything is working great, including all my jails!

I was trying to setup an Ubuntu Mate 16 VM, and followed the Guide.

These are the settings:
CPU: 1
Memory 1024
UEFI
Autostart Y

Devices are
NIC (default intel)
VNC (port 5904, Wait to boot Y)
Disk (6GiB zvol, AHCI)
CD-ROM (ubuntu mate iso)

When I start the VM, the State is "Running". And it will stay running and will not change.
However, when I connect with VNC Viewer on port 5904 (tried real vnc and tight vnc, same results on both), I get a "Connection closed expectantly" and the VM State changes to STOPPED immediately. I do not even get the EFI screen, no boot screen, nothing.

I tried other iso's, same result. Restart FreeNAS, still the same. VMs just dont start. I also changed the Picture Quality to everything (but Auto as its not recommended).

When I check /var/log/message, i have only these entries:
Code:
Jun 29 13:51:21 freenas tap0: Ethernet address: 00:bd:12:87:8f:00
Jun 29 13:51:21 freenas kernel: tap0: promiscuous mode enabled
Jun 29 13:51:21 freenas kernel: tap0: link state changed to UP
Jun 29 13:51:21 freenas kernel: tap0: link state changed to UP
Jun 29 13:51:36 freenas kernel: tap0: link state changed to DOWN
Jun 29 13:51:36 freenas kernel: tap0: link state changed to DOWN

I tried to find some logs that may show the actual problem, but I cant find anything.

Any advise why this is happening? What can I do or try.

Cheers,

Eddi

Edit: For completeness sake, these are the hardware specs:
Supermicro X8 MB
Intel X3460 CPU
32GB ECC RAM
LSI HBA in IT mode
6x 4TB HGST Enterprise HDD's

Last edited by a moderator:

blaco

Explorer
Your CPU is one generation too old.
For Bhyve the CPU needs to support Unrestricted Guest Feature, which was introduced with Westmere. Your X3460 Nehalem CPU is too old. maybe you should have a look for a cheap upgrade, but I'm not sure because the x3460 sadly has not 1366 socket.

eddi1984

Dabbler
I had a hunch that the CPU may be the problem ... thanks for the detailed reply.

I was already thinking for a while to upgrade my NAS to something more current (i7, Supermicro X10 or X11 board).

Any good suggestions what hardware is current and a good buy?

Thanks.

blaco

Explorer
Quite difficuilt for me.
But for the others you should mention in which country you are living because of different prices.

There are a few Threads and a Hardware recommendation guide. I think the most used solution is a X11 board with i3-6100 (I hope I'm correct with ECC).
And you should say how much money you want to spend and also the requirements you have for your NAS.

eddi1984

Dabbler
From Canada. Probably end up buying stuff from the US (ebay, newegg, amazon etc)...

Spending, well, depends. My finance minister needs to approve first ... :). I think I rather spend more for good setup, than get gray hair later with trying to fix it and said Finance minister is unhappy ...

I already have HDD's, Supermicro 4U case (24 bay) with PS. I would need MB, RAM and CPU with cooler.

I will search for some newer hardware posts.

Thanks!

maconde

Cadet
I have the same error:
Feb 1 12:14:35 das-freenas tap1: Ethernet address: 00:bd:2c:7c:0c:01
Feb 1 12:14:35 das-freenas kernel: tap1: promiscuous mode enabled

I have a HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 que tiene un Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz, is compatible with ETP, I created some MVs and they worked, I restarted my FreeNAS server to improve hardware resources and it does not start any MV I made or make new. When I give Start the page is refreshed and it goes out in the Stopped state. Help me please, how fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.