113MBs when using Link Agg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBean

Cadet
Hello All!

I currently have a silly setup with my FreeNAS system as to how it talks to my main server.

*Note: This is all in a home lab*

I have 2x 1Gb NICs and 1x10/100Mb NIC (Used for Administration). I have a direct connection to a Server 2012R2 system that is also using NIC Teaming. There is no switch in the loop anywhere.

When I transfer a file from the NAS to the server using CIFS, it tops out at 113MB/s. And it is rock solid stable when doing this. Now, if I just use one NIC, then it transfer at ~90MB/s but not rock soild at those rates. I have tried about every combo of NIC Teaming Setting in Server and LinkAgg in FreeNAS

Does anyone know why this is happening? I seems like that all the overhead to being directed to the other nic. I'm transferring a single 6GB ISO (CentOS if you where wondering :D).

Here are my system Specs:
***FreeNAS***
CPU: G3220
RAM: 8GB ECC
4x1TB Hiatachi HDDs (sata)
2x 1GB Nics
1x 100Mb Nic
FreeNAS up to Date

***Server 2012R2***
CPU: Xeon E3 1225
RAM: 16GB ECC
512SSD
4x 1GB NICs

Last edited:

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Link aggregation does not allow to split single connection to several NICs. If you have only one connection, then aggregation may only improve reliability, but not performance. Same time if you have multiple connections, they may use several NICs same time, improving performance.

FireBean

Cadet
I realized that I posted in the wrong section. Moving it over to the Performance section.

Status
Not open for further replies.