LACP with ProCurve 2810

Status
Not open for further replies.

IonutZ

Contributor
I'm trying to create a LACP link between a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine, a Windows 8.1 machine, and a FreeBSD machine through a HP ProCurve 2810. Each machine has 2x Intel NICs and I'm trying to create a 2GbE network using LACP between them. This is proving to be quite a hassle.

I'm using an Intel I340-T2 adapter on the server where I've teamed the NICs using Hyper-V's NIC Teaming interface. I used Teaming mode: LACP with Load balancing mode: Address Hash. I've read about an option Dynamic, but I cannot find that option under Load balancing mode. Both NICs show a state of Active under the NIC Team, with the NIC Team showing a status of OK.

Running Get-NetLBFOTeamMember command in PowerShell returns this:

Powershell
Name : Intranet 2
InterfaceDescription : Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T2
Team : Lambda
AdministrativeMode : Active
OperationalStatus : Active
TransmitLinkSpeed(Gbps) : 1
ReceiveLinkSpeed(Gbps) : 1
FailureReason : NoFailure

Name : Intranet 1
InterfaceDescription : Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T2 #2
Team : Lambda
AdministrativeMode : Active
OperationalStatus : Active
TransmitLinkSpeed(Gbps) : 1
ReceiveLinkSpeed(Gbps) : 1
FailureReason : NoFailure​

I've configured the FreeBSD machine for LACP with a lagg interface, and I've performed a NIC Teaming on the Windows 8.1 machine from Intel's ProSet utility.

On the other end, on the HP ProCurve 2810, I've tried both creating separate Trunks with LACP for each machine, and I've tried enabling LACP for each interface outside of a trunk while grouping each pair of lines... There is no failure in LACP negotiation, but at the same time, I'm not able to communicate between the 3 clients at more than 114MB/s (running CAT6 as well).

I've disabled Flow Control on the switch. RSS is enabled on the clients. I'm really out of ideas.

IonutZ

Contributor
Yes, the consensus is that LACP can only be used as load balancing, so you can have as many gigabit connections to the same up address as you have NICs but you can't aggregate them into more than 1 gigabit per connection unfortunately.

Ray Milyard

Patron
What sort of problems are you having?

I am new to using HP switches. When I put in all for NICs the switch sees them but not as LACP. Been awhile since I tried but found a command to get them in LACP which I think works. However speeds was slower is seemed. Also on Windows PC when looking at SMB shares it see the FreeNAS box but can't access any of the shares. When I just goto the IP \\10.0.1.100 I can see them and access them.

IonutZ

Contributor
On windows you need a CIFS share, on apple you need a SMB share. Also you need to set the four nics in LACP on the switch, and you have to set the nics in LACP on whatever device you have them. Also the 4 nics if you want to do LACP with them have to be in the same device.

Ray Milyard

Patron
On windows you need a CIFS share, on apple you need a SMB share. Also you need to set the four nics in LACP on the switch, and you have to set the nics in LACP on whatever device you have them. Also the 4 nics if you want to do LACP with them have to be in the same device.

This is how I tried it out. Couldn't get working. Limited networking knowledge. So right now all 4 NICs on switch but using own IPs. Mainly just using the one for now.

Ray Milyard

Patron
do all your clients have 4 nics?

No. Just the server to the HP 2910 switch. HP said with LACP it should provide fail over. And if multi clients accessing server with 4 NIC each clients would use 1 on the NICs. But like I said I am very green with advanced networking. I am build stuff etc but never did much as for networking. Also have a Lenovo IX4-300D NAS with 2 NICs going to add to switch later just for time machines and local computer backups.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Haven't had any luck getting setup. I think it's on the switch side something I am not doing right.

IonutZ

Contributor
Just so you know, I don't know how it is on the 2910, but on the 2810 which I have, you have to connect with a tty (terminal) connection into the interface in order to configure LACP, you can't do it from the WEB GUI.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Just so you know, I don't know how it is on the 2910, but on the 2810 which I have, you have to connect with a tty (terminal) connection into the interface in order to configure LACP, you can't do it from the WEB GUI.

I can get in no issue. Just not sure how to setup.

khutch6

Cadet
Sorry for reviving this very old thread, but I thought it better than starting a fresh new one. I am a newbie to both FreeNAS and networking in general, so I was hoping for a little assistance. I am using an HP ProCurve 2810 24-G switch and trying to set up LACP. I'm using ports 19 and 20 on the switch for reference. My CLI conf:
conf
int 19-20 lacp active

I create the link aggregation in FreeNAS by selecting my 2 interfaces and the LACP button, click Go, and I lose network connection almost immediately.
show lacp results read:

ProCurve Switch 2810-24G(config)# show lacp

LACP

PORT LACP TRUNK PORT LACP LACP
NUMB ENABLED GROUP STATUS PARTNER STATUS
---- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
19 Active 19 Up Yes Success
20 Active 20 Up Yes Success

The thing that stands out to me is the trunk group not matching up, but Im unsure if that is the issue at hand or how to fix it. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

khutch6

Cadet
Alright some progress.. I altered the trunk a bit by resetting the ports and then configuring with:
trunk 19-20 trk1 lacp

This appeared to put them in a trunk group together. From there, I reset FreeNAS and had to manually configure the interface via the FreeNAS CLI for DHCP since the web UI was down. That appeared to give me connectivity back as I now have an IP and connect to the web UI again. Only issue is now my switch shows the second ethernet as blocked :(

ProCurve Switch 2810-24G# show lacp

LACP

PORT LACP TRUNK PORT LACP LACP
NUMB ENABLED GROUP STATUS PARTNER STATUS
---- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
19 Active Trk1 Up Yes Success
20 Active Trk1 Blocked Yes Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.