"Only" getting 113MBps from Teamed 1Gb Nics

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBean

Cadet
Hello All!

I currently have a silly setup with my FreeNAS system as to how it talks to my main server.

*Note: This is all in a home lab*

I have 2x 1Gb NICs and 1x10/100Mb NIC (Used for Administration). I have a direct connection to a Server 2012R2 system that is also using NIC Teaming. There is no switch in the loop anywhere.

When I transfer a file from the NAS to the server using CIFS, it tops out at 113MB/s. And it is rock solid stable when doing this. Now, if I just use one NIC, then it transfer at ~90MB/s but not rock soild at those rates. I have tried about every combo of NIC Teaming Setting in Server and LinkAgg in FreeNAS

Also, it's a normal zfs Raid5 Setup.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I seems like that all the overhead to being directed to the other nic. I'm transferring a single 6GB ISO (CentOS if you where wondering :D).

Here are my system Specs:
***FreeNAS***
CPU: G3220
RAM: 8GB ECC
4x 1TB Hiatachi HDDs (sata)
2x 1Gb Nic's
1x 100Mb Nic
FreeNAS up to Date

***Server 2012R2***
CPU: Xeon E3 1225
RAM: 16GB ECC
512GB SSD
4x 1GB NICs

krikboh

Patron
Link aggregation only provides increased throughput with multiple clients. You will not exceed 1 Gb per connection without upgrading to 10 Gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireBean

Cadet
Well... I'll be damned then... Unless those $50 NICs on ebay are any good, then it looks like I'm going to play with Fiber for the first time. WOOT!

Thanks for the fast Reply!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.