113 MB/s write speeds, that's limited by my 1Gpbs connection?

EvanVanVan

Patron
Silly question that google should be able to answer for me, but since real world performance doesn't really match theoretical limits I wanted to confirm. When I'm moving files over to my TrueNAS server over a Windows SMB share, it's a consistent 112-113MB/s, is that limited by my 1Gbps connection or my WD Red drives in RAID-Z2? I want to upgrade/install a 10Gbps NIC if it'll speed up transfers. My computer already has a 10Gbps nic, I would just need to run cat6e. I guess pretty much confirming the bottleneck is my connection speed, I also get 112-113MB/s transferring from TrueNAS to my computer, but just wanted to ask anyway.

Thank you

c77dk

Patron
You've got it right - That is the max for a 1Gbps connection

EvanVanVan

Patron

jgreco

Resident Grinch
112-113MB/s,

113 Mega Bytes/sec times 8 bits per byte is 904 megabits. It's not quite that straightforward in practice, but just to see you're in the gigabit-ish realm.

seems to be a legit source/card, right? My biggest concern is it was a "Sponsored Listing" and yet was one of the only results for the Chelsio T420 card with active cooling.

Techy Parts is a place I do minor business with every year or so. I have no reason to doubt their sincerity. I believe I once figured out based on something that I bought that they were parts'ing up stuff from some financial company... look look look Ah yes I picked up some 6027TR-HT from them, which look to have come from a high frequency trading company, and were originally sold by iXsystems(!). The Chelsio 420 low latency variant card is consistent with that and could very well have been a pull from the same set of gear. I wouldn't be worried about the vendor. The card, well, be aware the fan might be hard to replace.

EvanVanVan

Patron
Thank you!