Super slow SMB speeds on TrueNAS Mini X+, Core 12

630fireman

Cadet
So we recently purchased a high spec TrueNAS Mini X+, the version with 64GB RAM and the integral twin 10Gbps ports, running 4x Seagate Exos 16TB in RAIDZ2, running latest TrueNAS Core 12. Unfortunately, we've never been able to get this thing to really run properly on the network locally or over OpenVPN. The OpenVPN connection works great, and I'm getting the similar pathetic speeds I'm seeing locally. I've done some of this testing over the VPN too, but overall, the speeds are similar enough to local connections that I feel that I can say that service is set up properly, but I also did some testing locally with the OpenVPN services shut completely off.

iperf2 results over VPN (I'm no pro with it, so there are probably better parameters to have used)

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 8] 0.0-30.1 sec 6.38 MBytes 1.78 Mbits/sec [ 6] 0.0-30.2 sec 8.38 MBytes 2.33 Mbits/sec [ 11] 0.0-30.2 sec 14.6 MBytes 4.06 Mbits/sec [ 4] 0.0-30.3 sec 7.88 MBytes 2.18 Mbits/sec [ 3] 0.0-30.3 sec 6.00 MBytes 1.66 Mbits/sec [ 5] 0.0-30.3 sec 7.50 MBytes 2.08 Mbits/sec [ 9] 0.0-30.3 sec 7.75 MBytes 2.14 Mbits/sec [ 10] 0.0-30.4 sec 7.00 MBytes 1.93 Mbits/sec [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 10] 0.0-10.1 sec 4.25 MBytes 3.54 Mbits/sec [ 3] 0.0-10.1 sec 2.88 MBytes 2.39 Mbits/sec [ 8] 0.0-10.1 sec 3.12 MBytes 2.59 Mbits/sec [ 7] 0.0-10.2 sec 4.50 MBytes 3.70 Mbits/sec [ 4] 0.0-10.2 sec 3.62 MBytes 2.98 Mbits/sec [ 6] 0.0-10.3 sec 2.25 MBytes 1.83 Mbits/sec [ 11] 0.0-10.4 sec 3.75 MBytes 3.03 Mbits/sec [ 5] 0.0-10.5 sec 2.88 MBytes 2.31 Mbits/sec

My theory is that it is somehow our network connection. Connecting to it locally through the wired LAN or wifi has given very poor speeds (~11MB/s and ~3MB/s respectively), but isolating the system from the main network and connecting directly via an unmanaged switch and static IPs (and manually setting the gateway on the PC to the NAS IP) gave speeds around 117MB/s. These aren't the only benchmarks I've run, but the results that I had saved at least. Have tried multiple PCs and Macs for testing and benchmarking with similar results.

r/truenas - Super slow SMB speeds on TrueNAS Mini X+
CrystalDiskMark benchmark - Left locally wired through network, Right via isolated connection

This is making me conclude that the problem lies within the network, but I'm not sure what is wrong. The connection to the internet is fine as seen below and the router seems to not interfere with anything else (internet to and from as well as network printers/scanners and the web utilities for these devices and also TrueNAS web admin). I've checked MTUs (running at 1500). The router is a cheap gigabit router (Trendnet TEW-824DRU) and is on my list to upgrade, but I don't want to pull ahead a big invest in more professional gear for our organization (a non-profit historical association) without confirming that is 100% the root cause (and then not having it fix the problem...). We also have a 24 port 10/100/1000Mbps switch that some devices are plugged into. Both the LAN feeding the switch from the router and one of the TrueNAS 10Gbps ports are plugged directly into the 1000Mbps ports of this switch. Many of the other devices are using the 100Mbps ports (could explain the wired speed perhaps?), but the wireless speed should still be greater if that were the case. The other TrueNAS port is wired directly to the router. Benchmarking that one had similar speeds, wired and wireless.

r/truenas - Super slow SMB speeds on TrueNAS Mini X+
Ookla Speedtest run through the TrueNAS shell

Does anyone have any ideas on the root cause? Perhaps it's not the router, but some settings I've missed in TrueNAS? I've done as much testing as I can find and have tried changing multiple things without success, but am open to more testing if necessary to diagnose and also to investing in Ubiquiti gear sooner than previously planned if necessary. I'll be happy to explain more to help dig into things.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Jessep

Patron
Check switch port (and/or TrueNAS NIC) for 1Gb negotiation? 11MB is 100Mb speeds.

630fireman

Cadet
Check switch port (and/or TrueNAS NIC) for 1Gb negotiation? 11MB is 100Mb speeds.
The TrueNAS is hooked up to the 1Gbps port on the switch and the line between the switch and router are on Gbps ports as well. I do know the line between that desktop pc and the switch is on a 100Mbps port so that speed does make sense.

But still, having 1-4Mbps over both WiFi and VPN does not make sense.

sretalla