SOLVED 11.2 to 11.3 : Problem with replication

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

Here is my own experience about upgrading my FreeNAS servers in the last days.

So with some time in my hands, I chose to upgrade my FreeNAS servers (each one is in my signature). Know that here, Thanatos can be sacrificed any time. I will re-sync it over LAN from Atlas without any impact. Actually, at the end of the process, I intend to destroy and re-create its pool to adjust the compression level.

Once Thanatos is up-to-date and is stable, Atlas is the second to be touched. Should I end up with problems, I can re-sync it over LAN from Thanatos without too much impact. The one that must go through the process as smoothly as possible is Hades. Being hundreds of Km away, I can not re-sync it easily.

For doing my upgrades, I followed @Chris Moore advice in this post.

At first, each server was on a different version of FreeNAS 11.2. I pushed each of them to 11.2 U8. Nothing special here and all 3 servers did it well.

Thanatos was the first to be upgraded to 11.3 U5. It went well and I chose not to upgrade the pool's feature flag yet, just in case...
I then upgraded Atlas. The upgrade itself was good but when surfing the interface, I noticed that many things were marked as "Legacy". I also noted the new SSH Key and SSH Connection in the System menu.

First thing was to configure that SSH between the two servers. Easy and quick.

Next thing I tried to update was the replication task. I was hit by bug NAS-10816. Ok... I will destroy and re-create my replication tasks from scratch every time I need to change a single bit in them... Painful but should not be a show stopper. I did it and it seemed to work. Because it was my slow changing dataset, no new data was to be sync, so the problem did not show. It was when I did the replication task for my main dataset that I faced the problem : the replication task failed, saying that it could not find a previous snapshot to start from. Because I ensure that to re-start from scratch was unchecked, the task failed.

I cancelled the new replication task from Atlas to Thanatos and re-created it as Legacy. It worked and only the few new snapshots were sent. I then try to modify that replication task to SSH but the bug prevented me from doing it. I deleted and re-created the replication task as SSH. Only then did the replication got it right.

So the process ended up being :
--Update each server to 11.3 U5
--Create a new SSH connection between the two servers
--Re-create the snapshots tasks so they turn under the new mode
--Be sure that not 2 snapshots are time marked at the same moment. I had some tasks that created 2 snapshots at the same moment with different retention period. It was fine so far but it is not anymore. I fixed that when re-scheduling my snapshots here.
--Let the old Legacy replication task propagate at least one of the new snapshots
--Once at least one non-Legacy snapshot has been replicated, delete the Legacy replication task
--Re-create a new replication task using the new SSH Connection profile and the new snapshot schedules

Then the setup will be running using the new, updated way : no more Legacy in the config, at least for these parts (SSH Connection ; Snapshot task ; Replication task).

Because that ended up being a little more changes than expected, I am not sure if I will go with TrueNAS next or if I keep waiting... In all cases, to have remove these Legacy things should help for the next migration to TrueNAS. To know that bug NAS-10816 is fixed there is another plus... Will see how confident I will be after a week...

Hope this can be of any help to someone else,

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
Oups... Direct link to the bug does not work.... Just search for the bug ID 108160 in IX' Jira and you will find it...

@JoshDW19, any reason why a direct link to IX's Jira does not work ??