SSH Daemon Changes - STABLE - 201501151844

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scharbag

Guru
After installing the above upgrade, the SSH key for my FreeNAS box changed. I just want to make sure that this would be an expected result of the update. Because if it is not, then I need to look into why the SSH key changed.

Also affected was my replication task. I got this error:
Code:
 The replication failed for the local ZFS fasttank/VirtualBox because the command:
/usr/bin/ssh -ononeenabled=yes -ononeswitch=yes -i /data/ssh/replication -o BatchMode=yes -o StrictHostKeyChecking=yes -o ConnectTimeout=7
   have returned an error code of 255

I deleted the replication task and re-created it, re-scanning the remote hostkey. It works again now.

I just want to make sure that there is nothing untoward going on.

Thank you,

D

dlavigne

I asked the devs and got this answer:

So what happened was the sshd in FreeNAS 9.3 added a new type of host key. If you have a new enough ssh client, it will see the new host key and say, gads, something has changed. If you have an older ssh client it won't notice anything as it remains blissfully unaware of the new host key.

It's expected that you may see host key changed warnings when upgrading to FreeNAS 9.3 from an older version. This will not happen every time you update, however if sshd adds more key types it may happen again in the future.

Scharbag

Guru
OK. It was from OS X that I got the warning.

Thank you for the answer.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.